Alternatives to UE11P's?
Sep 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Darwin022

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I guess it might be time to look at upgrades again
biggrin.gif
I've got a pair of UE5P custom IEM's right now that I've been having continual cable problems with. I'm currently waiting for UE to ship/deliver my 4th cable in under 2 years (boo). Based on this and other customer service problems I've had with Ultimate Ears in the past, I'd rather not buy another pair of their products.

Are there any good alternatives to the UE11Pro's? I've been happy overall with the sound of the UE5P's (when they work). The main types of music I listen to are Trance/electronic and Rock.

Thanks in advance (but sorry for the wallet :p )

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the replies, looking at JH and the JH13's now
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 14
the ES3X by westone, or the JH13 by JHauido

i'd go with anything by JH, As IIRC he was the guy who designed UE's entire custom line... so you'll get the sound you want with better quality and CS

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 14
11 is a custom
10 is a universal

Anywho, yeah, you'll be looking at the other triple armature earphones out there like the Westone 3, Shure SE530, and Audio Technica ATH-CK100 as well as Sennheiser's IE8 dynamic driver earphone. These along with the Triple.Fi 10 Pro are basically your king universal IEMs.

As for customs, Livewires/Fidelity pops up as the great budget setup. You can step to a 2-way setup for about $300. You can of course convert any of the above BA sets to customs too and upgrade from the universal limitations. There are even upgraded versions of these available that you can even add a 4th driver. Start reading up on customs on the forum. There's a lot of good info floating around.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ES3X by westone, or the JH13 by JHauido

i'd go with anything by JH, As IIRC he was the guy who designed UE's entire custom line... so you'll get the sound you want with better quality and CS

Yeah, I'm seeing that JH = Jerry Harvey = UE founder. My basic "problem" with UE is that I like Jerry's products.... just not the UE experience. I'll probably give them a call this afternoon.

Thanks for the other options, but after using custom IEM's, I'm not really looking for universal fit, they are just uncomfortable to me.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 14
Understandable. I just wasn't sure if it was a typo or if you actually meant customs. I'm not sure how common the Super.Fi 5 ends up as a custom.

I think the end choice will come down to how much you feel like spending. The Livewire, I guess now Fidelity 2-way is just around $300. Some folks on here say there really isn't need for more, and even Fidelity states they only have a 3-way simply to compete with other brands and not so much out of necessity for sound, although there may be some worthy improvement. Even stepping out of the wide market of universal IEMs, you're still hit with another wide market of customs.
tongue.gif
I do sometimes question what is needed though. Coming from a set of Super.Fis, I think most purpose built customs will blow you away.

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Understandable. I just wasn't sure if it was a typo or if you actually meant customs. I'm not sure how common the Super.Fi 5 ends up as a custom.

I think the end choice will come down to how much you feel like spending. The Livewire, I guess now Fidelity 2-way is just around $300. Some folks on here say there really isn't need for more, and even Fidelity states they only have a 3-way simply to compete with other brands and not so much out of necessity for sound, although there may be some worthy improvement. Even stepping out of the wide market of universal IEMs, you're still hit with another wide market of customs.
tongue.gif
I do sometimes question what is needed though. Coming from a set of Super.Fis, I think most purpose built customs will blow you away.

Yeah, once I got used to the customs (UE5P's) I've got now, the comfort level alone makes them worth getting if you need IEM's. Being able to leave them in for 4-8 hours at a time is a big benefit. As for price range, I'm pretty open minded at the moment... I'd say up to ~$1200 (not counting getting new molds made), which seems to make it easier :p

Sep 21, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

Uh, John of livewires told me that they have the trips for competition purposes. In any case, the OP wanted an upgrade from UE5 Pros, which are in a different league than Livewires. Whether the livewires are SQ wise, in/near that league is something i can't comment on. there aren't many (any?) reviews holding livewires against $1200 JH13s or anything else in that tier...

OP:
In any case, i'd go with JHAudio. many say the JH13s are the top dog in the custom IEM world

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm seeing that JH = Jerry Harvey = UE founder. My basic "problem" with UE is that I like Jerry's products.... just not the UE experience. I'll probably give them a call this afternoon.

Thanks for the other options, but after using custom IEM's, I'm not really looking for universal fit, they are just uncomfortable to me.

Well worth the call, I finally received mine this morning and loving it. Have been keep me away from real work over 3 hours and skipped lunch too..

Sep 21, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My UE11s are getting no love since I got my JH13s. Actually, most of my headphones are getting no love since getting the JH13s.

Nice endorsement.... funny though, all of my other headphones have been getting no love since I got my UE5P's.

How is the cable on the JH13's? from an image I see, the monitor end plastic block looks a bit better than on the UE's (that's what keep breaking on mine)

Going to read up on some reviews now. Thanks for the help everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back