Alternatives to the Yuin Pk3?
Nov 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Voxy

New Head-Fier
Great earphones, but they break way too easily. I really want to keep them, but in another 3 weeks, I'll need a new pair. Any other earphones similar?

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 13
I took care of my PK3 earbuds for 4 months before I sold them used, and then in perfect condition. If you take care of them (don't stuff them into trouser pockets, store them in a pouch/case/something), they will last plenty long. TBH, PK3s lasting only 3 weeks probably means you are trashing them yourself -- almost any other IEM or earbud probably won't last you much longer if you don't take care of them either.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 13
I hate to say I agree, but I do. I've had my PK3s for almost a year. I use them every night for listening to music or podcasts with my iTouch before I go to sleep. They've held up great and frankly they're a lot more robust than my ER6i's, which I'm always worried about breaking.

If you don't mind me asking, how are they breaking?

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 13
I've had my Yuin PK1's for about two months now. I think the whole PK line has the same build so it shouldn't matter whether it's the PK1 or PK3. Mine still look mint. And I can't say that I'm extra careful with them or anything. Though I admit I nearly choke whenever I catch them on something and they pull. I too wonder in what conditions you use the PK3's? It is also possible that Yuin had a manufacturing glitch and you got the PK3's out of a bad batch. And yes it can happen more than once. I once bought and returned 3 powered subs because they started making a high pitch shrieking sound. The salesmen were looking at me funny when I returned the last one. A little while later one of the salesman told me that the three I bought were from a bad batch, and they tested a couple from the new shipment and they worked fine. Meanwhile I had gone with a different brand. So that's another possibility, albeit an unlikely one.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voxy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is something completely internal. They work fine, but after 2-3 weeks, they go downhill.

Are you using the supplied foam pads? It could be due to perspiration.

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 13
Mar 13, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 13
OK3, PK2, MX650, E888.......

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vandine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK3,PK2,OK2:)

don't these models also suffer from the durability issues?

i know i've seen at least one thread where an owner of OK3s had to send them back several times. the only durability advantage of the OK3s, as far as I can tell, is that they have a much longer warranty.

can anyone confirm?

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 13
I have had my PK2's for a while now and have never had any issues at all. I am pretty careful with all of my equipment. I will say that right after I got them, the first thing I did was ditch the film canister. I would up my earbuds one time and decided that keeping that stress on the cables and connections would probably not hold up over the long haul. I took the case that my S4's came in and removed the foam and I just keep my PK2's in that tin. I wind them up loosely and they fit great. Toss them right in my bag with no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back