Alternatives to T-amp
Aug 16, 2005 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Claus1100xx

500+ Head-Fier
Is there an alternative to the T-amp in the $100-150 range that would produce similar soundquality but with a little bit more output power?
Maybe something like this?
AudioSource Amp 100 Stereo Amplifier
B00026BQJ6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. If there isn't an alternative at a reasonable price I'd probably just get the t-amp.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 33
this will be hooked up to the 1212m, so would I be able to hook up one of those amps without the volume control knob, just by regulating it through the soundcard?
Are those amps higher quality units or am I totally on the wrong path here?

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 33
This past weekend, Onix demo'ed a prototype stereo integrated digital amp. It has been talked about on AV123's forum as the X-empower. Yeah, the price has been mentioned to be at $70.00 or so. But it hasn't been put into production yet....although there's a lot of interest.

Edit: AudioSource amps are extremely solid amps. Great bang for the buck. On the other hand, you can probably pick up a 100 watts/channel Onkyo power amp refurbished directly from Onkyo for $200.00.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
This past weekend, Onix demo'ed a prototype stereo integrated digital amp. It has been talked about on AV123's forum as the X-empower. Yeah, the price has been mentioned to be at $70.00 or so. But it hasn't been put into production yet....although there's a lot of interest.

That looks hot. Keep us posted as news comes along on that, man.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
so an onkyo stereo receiver would be a better deal than the lil' t-amp? what about 2cheap monoblocks running from my soundcard via XLR cables?

No, if your soundcard can function as a pre-amp, then all you need is a stereo power amp. Or 2 mono-block power amps.

The Onkyo power amp (not a receiver) I am talking about is the M-282. You can purchase a refurbished one directly from Onkyo for about $200.00. Sign up with Onkyo and you will get a $10.00 discount. For not a lot more money than the AudioSource, you doubled the available power....assuming you need it. But you can never have too much power, can't you?
icon10.gif
BTW, nothing's wrong with the AudioSource power amp neither.

Aug 16, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 33
I am interested in the T-amp as well. But when I add the cost of the power supply to the cost of the amp, taking into account the amount of power available from the amp, the $99.00 TEAC A-L700P power amp (30 watts/channel X 3) seems like a better deal.

I think the TEAC is good for your purpose, Claus.

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 33
well I am running a surround sound system - see signature - but am not too impressed by it. I liked it when I started with my audio journey, but since you guys poisined me with headphones, they just sound flat and uninvolving.

Ideally I'd like to run everything from my computer to a 2channel stereo system. So if I can find a very decent amp right now for a lil' higher price that I could reuse to drive some more expensive speakers in the future, I wouldn't mind that.
It seems like the Teac won't drive some very inefficient vintage speakers, only some smaller ones. Monoblocks seem to provide the most output power (if that even matters) for the $$$.
I like your input so far audioboy, and this might actually benefit some people who are looking into the same thing.

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 33
I have seen the onkyo solution, but I am not too fond of my Onkyo Surround sound receiver for demanding music. Again very flat sound.
Do you think the stereoreceiver might actually be a better choice then?

Aug 16, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 33
If you don't need the tuner that's build into a stereo receiver, you can look for a stereo integrated amp. A stereo integrated amp is generally a better buy due to better parts used inside.

I am not familiar with your soundcard (or any soundcard for that matter). If it can function as a pre-amp, providing you control over volume and source selection, then all you need is a power amp. If not, then I'd recommend an integrated amp.

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 33
The t-amp doesn't work well with the emu1212m. Volume is very low, on the threshold of audibility. Probably an impedance problem or something. I'm sure I don't understand the why, but there it is.

Aug 17, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga
maybe it needs a signal pre amp

It operates normally with other sources, but not the emu1212m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back