Alternatives to Sleek Audio cable?
Feb 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

girlwithglasses

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have the Sleek Audio SA6s and am very pleased with them in all aspects other than the build quality of the cable. Like many of the posters here, I have had to get several replacement cables despite handling them carefully. I thought I had solved the problem of the cable breaking at the earpieces by reinforcing the join there, only to find the most recent cable broke at the jack instead! Are there any alternatives to the SA cable available? I am starting to despair of getting a decent connector!

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 3
I've had so many cables replaced, that I've lost count. 

Sleek has told me time and time again that THIS forum or their facebook page is where I should check for updates on when the NEW AND IMPROVED cables will be available.  Not surprisingly, that announcement never surfaced.  They have never provided me ANY alternative or suggestion other than assurances that new cables were coming.  Unacceptable.

I'm probably going to put mine up on craigslist and see if I can get enough money to buy an alternative pair of earphones and recoup some of this $200 lost.  I cannot recommend Sleek products to my friends or colleagues any longer.  Although I love the sound quality, I am too afraid to actually USE them due to the cable problems.  

May 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi Everyone!

It has been a while, since I have posted something on the forum. Now I see that everybody is looking for a diy cable, that really works with the SA6. I have made one for myself with the nokia mini plug. Yeah probably your first thought was that it must be looking ridiculous or something like that. I have read the original post, which mentioned, that it is possible to cut the plug a little bit shorter, so it won't stick out so much. That exactly what I have done, though it is a bit tricky.
Steps to achieve good DIY replacement cables:
1. Get 2 Nokia mini plugs
2. You have to warm the middle metal part with a solder and get that part out of the barrel
3. Now you can cut the barrel for the desired length. If the the distance from the metal circle to the end is the same as the original cable, then it is ok
4. Put the middle part back, and slide it inside just as much as nothing hang out from the barrel, its end should be at the same point as the barrels end
5. You have to use some glue to make sure the middle part won't come out. You could apply quick glue (don'T know how it is exactly called), but make sure that you only apply at the neck of the middle part, and not on the end, where it makes contact with the earphone's connector
6. Bend the mini plugs other end (not where the connector is), so it won't stick out from your head. Basically you can make same thickness as the original
7. Solder the wires to the connector and make some housing for the whole thing. I use hot glue for this. If you want to add color, then you should get a glass, a small candle, some glue and ink from ink-jet printer. Put the glue into the glass, melt it, add the ink, mix it, when it is colored apply the colored glue onto the connector and shape it with wet hand, so it won't burn your fingers

I have used a fake ipod earphone cable, because it has some thread in it, which makes the whole thing durable.
If you do the steps right, and you can solder quite well, with the use of quailty cable, the cable should last forever.
i'm sorry, that I couldn't post pictures, but when I did this work, I wasn't photo documenting the process.
In the summer I will do it again (3,5mm jack plug cracked at its neck :frowning2:), so if you need pictures, I will post it for you.

I hope I could help,

Lampee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back