Alternatives to (pointless) ipod touch?
Sep 15, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanRex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own a 605 and only use it for video. The SQ is bad. It hisses a lot and well, it's just not good, pretty muddy

Is the SQ bad from the HP and the line out (if it has one)?

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, this thing has the potential to kill the Nokia.

Like hell it does. The nokia has an SDHC slot, which means you can carry as many 8gb cards around with you as you want. Not to mention, the nokia runs Linux, which means you can have third party apps on it. The ipod has one or two hacks for it, but the next round of software updates will probably block them.

I have a Dell Axim X30, I bought it several years ago. It does everything the ipod touch does except for the integrated flash memory. Music, video, web, wifi, bluetooth(ipod doesnt have it), touch screen and it has tons of games, advanced calculators and GPS addons and etc. The biggest problem with it though is the fact that the LCD is only 320x240, which is horrible for web browsing. The iPod is at the exact same resolution. It is useless. The Nokia N800 on the other hand has a massive 800x480 resolution LCD, which means it can playback video in full quality and also browse websites without scaling them down. It is infinitely more useful than the ipod. it also has programs such as Skype available for it, making it useful as a phone as well. The iPod touch on the other hand can never use skype because it does not have a microphone.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #48 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like hell it does. The nokia has an SDHC slot, which means you can carry as many 8gb cards around with you as you want. Not to mention, the nokia runs Linux, which means you can have third party apps on it. The ipod has one or two hacks for it, but the next round of software updates will probably block them.

I have a Dell Axim X30, I bought it several years ago. It does everything the ipod touch does except for the integrated flash memory. Music, video, web, wifi, bluetooth(ipod doesnt have it), touch screen and it has tons of games, advanced calculators and GPS addons and etc. The biggest problem with it though is the fact that the LCD is only 320x240, which is horrible for web browsing. The iPod is at the exact same resolution. It is useless. The Nokia N800 on the other hand has a massive 800x480 resolution LCD, which means it can playback video in full quality and also browse websites without scaling them down. It is infinitely more useful than the ipod. it also has programs such as Skype available for it, making it useful as a phone as well. The iPod touch on the other hand can never use skype because it does not have a microphone.

I agree.

The iTouch and iPhone are useless to people that actually use their pda(phone)s.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #49 of 54
I would disagree ^ with this logic. Again, I think people are judging this from their own little bubble. I have a Palm T/X, which is a well regarded PDA (WiFi, Music, Video, Calendar, etc) but for me the Touch will be useful simply because it will seamlessly sync with my imac. Palms are compatible with Apple computers but it can still be painful even with 3rd party sync apps. Plus, I am quite sure the music/ video on the ipod will be better than the TX or any other PDA. However little time you think Jobs spends on SQ I assure you Palm/iPaq etc spend much less. So with the touch I will get a very easy to sync PDA, decent music player, very good video player, Wi Fi that has a very good internet interface and no inkless pens to carry around. To me its worth it. But again this is the view from my bubble.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #50 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the ipod's screen is actually 480x320, and its 1/3rd the size of the nokia n800 (54,384 mm³ v 140,400 mm³ - thats not including the nokia's 18mm thick hump). cnet said "Video playback on the N800 bordered on awful.". how much battery life does the n800 get for audio or video? in the end, i'm pretty sure its the touch's interface that is really wowing people.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would disagree ^ with this logic. Again, I think people are judging this from their own little bubble. I have a Palm T/X, which is a well regarded PDA (WiFi, Music, Video, Calendar, etc) but for me the Touch will be useful simply because it will seamlessly sync with my imac. Palms are compatible with Apple computers but it can still be painful even with 3rd party sync apps. Plus, I am quite sure the music/ video on the ipod will be better than the TX or any other PDA. However little time you think Jobs spends on SQ I assure you Palm/iPaq etc spend much less. So with the touch I will get a very easy to sync PDA, decent music player, very good video player, Wi Fi that has a very good internet interface and no inkless pens to carry around. To me its worth it. But again this is the view from my bubble.

I actually disagree with you on the point that PDAs have worse SQ than dedicated mp3 players. I used to have a dell axim x51v (and before that a x50v), and it remains to this day the best-sounding source (aside from my laptop) that I've tried. I forgot which DAC it had, but it was actually a very-well known one, and coupled with some very good mp3 programs (which had a 20-something band equalizer) it had fantastic sound quality, and had a very powerful amp built-in. search for it on headfi, I remember there was a pretty big thread about it (and PDAs in general).

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #52 of 54
OK, you're right, I was thinking of the iPod Video screen. Anyway, that means that it can still only browse pages that are designed for 6400x480(which aren't very many) and it can only do it in landscape mode. In portrait mode, you are still stuck with 320 width pages. Also, the 4:3 aspect ratio is bad for playing back videos. Im not sure what the batter on the n800 is, but it probably isnt that great. The advantage though is that the battery is replaceable.

Yes, the ipod is smaller than the n800, but you also sacrifice a lot fo functionality with that size reduction.

Sep 15, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #53 of 54
480x320 is not 4:3.

have you used an iphone? the page scaling is not bad at all and zooming and moving through pages is butter.

i agree the n800 seems like a great device, but many people appreciate a simple device that operates smoothly (the device itself and syncing it with a computer). not everyone needs all the features and options of the n800. if they did, the ipod would have been taken over by competitors and the iphone wouldn't have sold at all (as discussed ad nausium the iphone is lacking a lot of features smart phones offer).

Sep 16, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #54 of 54
Right, it isnt 4:3, but it isnt a proper widescreen either.

And thats not the point. I don't care what other people want, I care about what I want, and the ipod touch is useless for me.

And for the record, I havent used either the iphone or the nokia, but I am thinking of buying the n800 if the price ever drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back