Alternatives to (pointless) ipod touch?
Sep 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Ernie Mccracken

New Head-Fier
I thought the announcement was missing a zero (shouldn't capacity be 160gb, not 16gb??), but I guess it's true. I'm going to refrain from ranting too much, but that leaves me without a clear choice.

What are some players with specs closer to what the ipod touch should have been?

-Decent SQ
-3.5" + LCD
-Video playback, divx compatibility would be nice
-30gb + storage
-Respectable interface and controls (no oddball asian brands)

Front Running Candidates:
Creative Zen Vision W
prod15752_hdr_1_6_1.jpg

Cowon A2
A2_con_01.jpg

Archos 605
archos605wifi.jpg

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 54
the ipod classic? i dunno why people need those portable video players.... unless you travel on a plane a lot, but if you do, just use a ****ing laptop.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ipod classic? i dunno why people need those portable video players.... unless you travel on a plane a lot, but if you do, just use a ****ing laptop.

I'm on a plane at least twice a week and always have my work laptop with me. It's a real PITA to pull out a laptop on most planes (startup, shutdown, weak battery, terrible SQ, controls, storage), especially in the tiny coach seats. It'd be nice to have a small ultraportable, but I'm not buying a $2k laptop to use like a DAP.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 54
Every widescreen video dap other than the ipod touch is too bulky, but the touch doesn't have enough storage. Maybe we'll see some more competitive products at CES in January.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 54
Looks good to me, I have just placed an order for one iPod Touch, I already have a nano and iPod Video, its no big deal being only 16gb, I will use the Touch for video and my older iPods for audio, I use lossless all the time so I cant take all my music with me anyway, so it's no big deal for me to just sync up what I need for a trip.

8mm thin and solid state sold it for me.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 54
A 16GB Touch is $450 in Canada. I might be able to eventually talk myself into it if it was $350, but $450 is just ridiculous.

I have a feeling Apple will cut the price on the Touch sometime between now and the next ipod refresh much like they just did to the iPhone.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 54
What about Wifi? Only the Archos has that, and its a big ugly sunofabitch compared to the Touch.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 54
I guess pointless is in the eye of the beholder. The iPod Touch has wifi internet browsing, wireless YouTube, a full programmable OS, an unbelievably cool touchscreen UI, and it's only 8mm thick. Pointless, yeah.

Obviously they'll bring out a version with hard drive storage at some point, but it sure is an attractive package as is.

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 54
Regular ipod video sucks - I can't stand watching vids at 15fps - drives me nuts. It's like listening to mp3 a 96kbps.

Unless the new 'classics' upped their frame rate to a respectable 30fps?

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess pointless is in the eye of the beholder. The iPod Touch has wifi internet browsing, wireless YouTube, a full programmable OS, an unbelievably cool touchscreen UI, and it's only 8mm thick. Pointless, yeah.

Agree, I'm much more interested in its wifi browsing capabilities and form factor than its music playing capabilities.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 54
I say go for the archos, I have the 504 and couldn't be happier, and I am selling it to my cousin to get the 605 so I can get 160gb, and a touchscreen that is 800 x 480, and will play divx and mp3, sorry I am not converting 4000 songs to aac and 100 gb of video to whatever strange codec the ipod uses. Also wifi will be nice, but it isn't a big selling point for me.

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say go for the archos, I have the 504 and couldn't be happier, and I am selling it to my cousin to get the 605 so I can get 160gb, and a touchscreen that is 800 x 480, and will play divx and mp3, sorry I am not converting 4000 songs to aac and 100 gb of video to whatever strange codec the ipod uses. Also wifi will be nice, but it isn't a big selling point for me.

Uh...iPod's can play MP3 files.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 54
Really dregur, sorry the only ipod I had was a gen3 that refused to play mp3's, also to add to my post, drag and drop capabilities are great, I don't want to be hampered by itunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back