Alternatives to Mad Dog w/ Alpha Pads ~$400
Mar 3, 2015 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DSchwartz88

Head-Fier
I received a new pair of Mad Dogs (with Alpha Pads) last week and have been absolutely loving the sound signature and almost everything about them. Unfortunately, unlike the previous version I had (the one with the Dog Pads) this new version leaks sound like crazy, which makes these un-useable in my quiet office environment. I'm pretty disappointed as I absolutely love the sound signature of these, and how wide open they feel compared to other headphones in the price range. 

So anyways, unless I can figure out how to fix this issue (i’ve tried rotating the pads, and tightening the clamping force) I need to find new headphones! 

I will be powering these with a Magni 2 Uber and they don’t need to be portable in anyway. They will be staying at my desk at work. I can spend up to $400. 

Would love some suggestions from the community, you guys have been awesome thus far :)

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 7
  What soundsignature are you aiming for? (Sorry can't help with the Mad Dogs)

In terms of music I listen to a good amount of jam bands (mostly Phish), rock (Black Keys, Houndmouth), electronica (Pretty Lights, Glitch Mob, Daft Punk) and a good amount of 90s hip hop. So it's a pretty good variety. In terms of sound signatures that I like (and excuse my incorrect language): I like instrument separation (for when I listen to bands like Phish) and like tight and punchy, but not overpowering, bass (for when I listen to 90's hip hop and electronica). 

I'd also like the headphones to be over ear not on ear. Really appreciate all the help, and happy to answer more questions if it helps. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 7
That's really odd - have you talked to Mr. Speakers? I didn't have that experience when I tried the Alpha Pads. Maybe the angled pads are causing a fit issue? They might be able to swap you for some Dog Pads?

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 7
That's really odd - have you talked to Mr. Speakers? I didn't have that experience when I tried the Alpha Pads. Maybe the angled pads are causing a fit issue? They might be able to swap you for some Dog Pads?

Yup, i've been talking to him (Dan), he's been very helpful. I'm still hoping we can figure out a solution, just trying to get a sense for what my other options are if we can't figure out a solution. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 7
  Do you want a balanced headphone where the mids are good or a v-shaped can with recessed mids and emphasized bass and treble?

I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you. I can say that I loved the sound signature of the Mad Dogs, but I do wish it had a tiny bit more bass slam. I've heard the Mad Dog Pro is a bit like this. I haven't had a ton of exposure to a bunch of different headphone unfortunately. The other headphones i've liked in the past have been the Grade S60's, Westone 3 (IEM), and the ATH-M50. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back