Alternatives to LCD-X, they weigh to much!
Jul 2, 2016 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bsaac

Head-Fier
Hi guys

I'm after some advice, I really love the sound of my LCD-X's but I cant wear them for more than 20-30mins at a time due to their weight making my neck sore

So I'm after some ideas of headphones that have a similar sound signature to the LCD-X's but are quite a bit lighter

My kit consists of a Mjolnir 2 and a Bifrost multibit if that makes any difference

I have previously had a T1 with a Valhalla 2 and then upgraded to my current setup which I prefer to give you an idea of my preferences if that helps

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jul 2, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 6
When I had the two of them at the same time, I found the Hifiman HE-400 and to a lesser extent the 400i, to have similar sound signature at considerably less price and weight.  One warning though, while the 400 has the bass and upper midrange depression of the LCD-X, its treble spike is more out of control and elevated compared to the LCD-X, so EQ is preferred.

I'm also told the Stax SR-007 MK1 (or MKII with bass extension mod) has similar sound as well, but I'm assuming you're not ready to invest in stax amps just yet.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 6
You can check the new Focal Elear.
Not many impressions yet, but it seems to be similar to the LCD line in terms of sound signature and measurable performance.
Not the lightest headphones but most impressions about comfort has been positive, unlike the Audezes.

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 6
How does the Hifiman Edition X compare to the LCD-X's?

It seems to be a much lighter headphone but is the sound at all similar?

Not keen to move to a Stax setup considering it would mean changing over my amp etc as well

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 6
The Edition X is a different beast in terms of sound compared to the LCD-X.  It's more linear from bass to treble, with less bass emphasis, a more robust upper midrange, and more subdued mid-upper treble compared to the Audeze.  It's actually more like an LCD2 if it had way more soundstage and a slightly airier sound.  It is supremely comfortable as well.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 6
You can check the new Focal Elear.
Not many impressions yet, but it seems to be similar to the LCD line in terms of sound signature and measurable performance.
Not the lightest headphones but most impressions about comfort has been positive, unlike the Audezes.

+1

I am selling my LCDXs for the Focal Elears, Ether Flow Open is also a good alternative, neither have LCDX weighty sub bass but they are close and improves on other technicalities such as micro dynamics.

If you are bass centric, the Fostex Massdrop th-x00 ebony or the ZMF Blackwood would get you closer to the LCDX bass but the rest of their abilities could be considered a downgrade of sorts.

All of the above should play nice with your existing set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back