Alternatives to Klipsch Image X5?
Jan 20, 2009 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hmai18

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have a pair of the X5s that I love listening to, but I can't stand the shape of the housing and how they kind of stick out from my ear canals. I have a pair of UM1s and I find them extremely comfortable, but I can't stand their flat sound.

I've been debating whether to sell the Klipschs to get a pair of UM2s, but don't have a way of listening to the UM2 before buying and am afraid that they will sound like the UM1s.

How do the Klipsch and Westone compare soundwise?

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Only heard um2 among the ones you've mentioned.

um2 is a very warm set of earphones with a lot of warm bass, and rolled off highs. It's not flat sounding at all since it has a lot bass and yummy midrange(VERY much like the se530 on the midrange)

and note that um2 respond well well to eq adjustments(unlike W3 which responds poorly), so you are not likely to feel flat after some eq adjustments.

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 10
UM2 also has a pretty narrow soundstage as they are considered studio monitors. As much as I love(d) them, the Westone 3 destroys them in every regard. UM2's don't sound too good anymore to me
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 10
I've heard the Um-2's and Klipsch Custom 3 which seem to have better Sound Quality then Image but haven't heard Image, and Image is supposed to have a better sound signature, so I'd go for Image because UM-2's didn't sound better then the Custom 3.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM2 also has a pretty narrow soundstage as they are considered studio monitors. As much as I love(d) them, the Westone 3 destroys them in every regard. UM2's don't sound too good anymore to me
frown.gif

I agree W3 toast um2 in highs and lows

but I still prefer the um2's beautiful midrange.

no sibilance what so ever, and a lot more density than W3.

anyway, you can't expect W3 to have the same midrange as um2, otherwise you can not get the same kind of feel on lows and highs just because you bumped the mids

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I agree...

Owning the UM2 for years, they did not possess a soundstage or seperation. Very warm presentation. Vocals were upfront.

Personally, I like the X5 much better. More balanced, detail and soundstage.

Comfort was about equal...but UM2 looked better being worn

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 10
So what you go for?

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 10
I didn't go for anything. I sold my UM1s and am sticking with my Images for now.

I'm still looking for something that has a similar sound signature to the X5s but are more of an IEM that can be looped behind the ear. Price range is $150. I listen mostly to rock (a lot of Rise Against and Paramore) at the moment.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 10
If you are in the U.S. or Canada, just check out the Phonak Audeo threads, reviews, etc. These are the finest IEMs $150 (or less, if you use the Save10 code on checkout) can buy. They can compare with all the top-tier phones, and to me, they outperform the W3s, which I also own. Detail, accuracy, tight/clean bass. They have it all.

Just read the threads, which are in the portable phone forum.

Oh, I also own the X10s, and while I like them for certain listening situations, I much prefer the PFEs as a go-to IEM. Phonak also offers a 14-day MBG if bought in the U.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back