Alternatives to ipod
Dec 21, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #33 of 39
worth mentioning:
the x5 does not allow you to browse by id3 tags. you see the files just like you put them on. you can't view by artist, album, genre, etc like on other players. for some this may be good, others bad.

the line out is not true line out. if you have any of the 'effects' turned on, the line out becomes pretty much another headphone out.

it does not charge through USB, you need to use the AC adapter.

no album art

Dec 21, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #34 of 39
Hmmm... If only you lived in the UK you could have had a play with my X5 since it's collecting dust. The 5G iPod is the only HDD DAP I use now.

I would personally say from an overall product point of view update to the 5G. If you liked the way the iPod works, the 5G brings sound quality in line with the likes of Cowon. The 5G iPod now sounds essentially the same as the X5. If you use low-impedance phones, it'll definitely be an improvement. If not or you amp, the improvement if any might not be as apparent, although performance is once again same as or superior to the competing players.

If you like features and drag & drop, go for the X5. It struck me however as a tech toy first and not a music player first... and the iPod is definitely a music player first. The amount of work I had to put in to get it to work anywhere near as flexibly as an iPod in that respect was not ideal. It's still for sale or trade by the way if anyone wants it.

Dec 21, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #35 of 39
bangraman said:
Hmmm... If only you lived in the UK you could have had a play with my X5 since it's collecting dust. The 5G iPod is the only HDD DAP I use now.

I would personally say from an overall product point of view update to the 5G. If you liked the way the iPod works, the 5G brings sound quality in line with the likes of Cowon. The 5G iPod now sounds essentially the same as the X5. If you use low-impedance phones, it'll definitely be an improvement. If not or you amp, the improvement if any might not be as apparent, although performance is once again same as or superior to the competing players.

QUOTE]
So you also have both the X5 and 5G , You honestly hear them as being on the same level? I spent several days playing the ipod only , and then switched to the X5 . To me it seemed like the sound had opened up to a wider range when using the X5 . I used no external amps and the same earphones , and the nano actually sounds better (to me) than the ipod , and the X5 even better than either.

Dec 21, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9 on iaudiophile.net on the 27th November
I own the x5l 30 , and a 4 gb nano, and my wife has my old ipod .....and I owned/returned the ipod with video.

I don't play the buy and return game as comparing an unfamiliar player against something you already know very well within whatever return period that the shop gives you isn't a full comparison... it's just a case of bias weighting.

The X5 is my favourite UMS player, primarily because it's less annoying than the H320. It is also a jack of trades of course, doing a lot more than some other players. However as music player, it shows it's weakness in comparison to the Karma and the iPod... and in many ways, various Creatives. This is not purely a reflection of sound quality, but in terms of navigation, playlisting, and overall usage as a high-capacity DAP.

I would say that using a low-impedance earphone, the 5G is now in the same overall class as the X5, Creative, Sony, etc... but especially the X5. Using a high-impedance phone, IMO the 3/non-photo 4G were better.

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #37 of 39
bangraman said:
I don't play the buy and return game as comparing an unfamiliar player against something you already know very well within whatever return period that the shop gives you isn't a full comparison... it's just a case of bias weighting.

QUOTE]
and also
Originally Posted by max-9 on iaudiophile.net on the 27th November
I own the x5l 30 , and a 4 gb nano, and my wife has my old ipod .....and I owned/returned the ipod with video.
Nice thread search.....
Full disclosure: And my old ipod went bye bye , and then I bought my wife a white 5G ipod video , I spent several days with it loading pictures and music . I purchased the 5G for its ease of use and photo display. During this time I tried to sell myself on the 5G comparing it to the X5, I collect DAPS ....Do you need pics?

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsahoo
I have not been too happy with my zen micro. I got it because it can play subscription music and has a user replaceable battery, but, battery life does suck. I don't have numbers for it but definitely less than 3 hours of play. Even with car charger it needs recharging overnight periodically. Plus it hangs often. Often there is a 5-10 sec delay in moving to the next song--if you try to skip to the next song.

I am thinking of replacing it. May be it was not designed to be left in cold at 20-30F overnight.

I don't have those problems with mine. It lasts me about two days at work. Listening it to it on and off. I don't have problems with hangs. The pauses I think are related to the touch pad controls. Which I don't like. But I think it sounds great. Much better than a iPod mini, or 4G that I compared it with. The shuffle is slightly better though.

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #39 of 39
the thing is 5G ipods only come in 30 or 60gb models if i'm not wrong. i've got 4gb of music, n even then i don't listen to all of em. for me, nano or zen micro suits my needs sufficiently.

so, can any1 comment on the difference in SQ of the nano n the micro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back