Alternatives to Heir 5.0?
Sep 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DNT

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

So I've been content with my JH16s for over 2 years now and have been avoiding head-fi as much as possible during that time for the sake of my wallet. Though the JH16s are still performing like a champ, my ears are so accustomed to the sound and I don't enjoy it as much as I did. Hence I'm in the market for a new pair of IEMs. After my 2 years hiatus, there are now so many new companies and quite frankly, I'm so lost I don't know where to start.

I discovered Heir Audio recently and read through many of their threads, it seems like they have a great track record so far. News of their anniversary sales is simply icing on the cake and I'm eyeing the 5.0. But I want to do my homework properly so may I hear your opinions about other alternatives in the price range ~$500-600, and their advantages over the 5.0 (if any).

Thanks all.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 8
If you enjoy the bass quantity on the JH16s, then i suggest you look into the UM Merlin. Bass is pretty similar to JH 16 but sound is different, was quite surprised when i got my merlins. Much more mid forward and warmer sound compared to JH16.

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 8
aurisonics asg-2? that was the main competition to the 5.0 for me when I was looking. asg-2 is 1 15mm dynamic driver and 2 BA drivers. Should have more bass if you are into that and it has a adjustable bass knob. Also had amazing mids. Didn't get a chance to try the 5.0 but it did peak my interest :)

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 8
  If you enjoy the bass quantity on the JH16s, then i suggest you look into the UM Merlin. Bass is pretty similar to JH 16 but sound is different, was quite surprised when i got my merlins. Much more mid forward and warmer sound compared to JH16.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry I forgot to mention I'm only looking at universal as I want to avoid the hassle with customs.

aurisonics asg-2? that was the main competition to the 5.0 for me when I was looking. asg-2 is 1 15mm dynamic driver and 2 BA drivers. Should have more bass if you are into that and it has a adjustable bass knob. Also had amazing mids. Didn't get a chance to try the 5.0 but it did peak my interest :)

I did some reading on asg-2 (man that appreciation thread is long!) and it sounds quite fitting for my taste. Btw, is there a difference (in terms of sound) between the regular version and stealth? 

Any thoughts on other competitors like SD3 compared to the 2 aforementioned guys?

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion. Sorry I forgot to mention I'm only looking at universal as I want to avoid the hassle with customs.

I did some reading on asg-2 (man that appreciation thread is long!) and it sounds quite fitting for my taste. Btw, is there a difference (in terms of sound) between the regular version and stealth? 

Any thoughts on other competitors like SD3 compared to the 2 aforementioned guys?

There is no difference. it's only an aesthetic change.

I can't speak for either the sd3 or the fa4s. But according to impressions the latter is closer to neutral.

I personally love my asg-2s though. And dale is constantly seeking to improve them, so they'll only get better. Honestly all 4 seem to be great iems for one reason or another. I'm happy with my choice, but recognize they aren't for everyone. However it seems that the asg-2 might be a good fit for you, but the sd3 also seems to have pull in the same kind of sound signature.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 8
The fa 4e xb is + 6db on the bass region but is very deep and clean it seems it reachs deeper than the asg2 at least is what music_4321 said, the sd3 is +12 db!! But it doesn't reach as deep as the asg2 or the fa 4e according to Carlsan post. So if you prefer more impact the sd3 if you want less impact than the sd3 but deeper basd the asg2, and if you prefer deeper clearer bass with still great punch the fa...

Seems The fa amps highs are the more extended of the 3...at this level is more your preferences than which is better

You can also wait to the new vsonic flagship or the sony hybrids.

But i'm not sure if any of the mented will be at the same level of the 8 drivers jh16, anyway it's better that you check the threads by yourself to see which one fit your preferences better

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by DNT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No difference. The standard frost ASG-2 used to not come with the adjustable bass port but I believe it does now. So, the only difference is the material and finish of the shell (maybe just the finish, not sure about material used).

SD3 did not interest me at all. From what I read, it was a 2 driver for low and 1 driver for mid and high setup. The reviews and first impressions on it didn't seem to fit me either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back