alternatives to grados, leakage...
Oct 27, 2005 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jumpinjohn1234

500+ Head-Fier
So I was right about to pick up a pair of grados sr60, but then I realized that it leaks a lot of sound out. I looked around for other pairs and came up with the Sennheiser HD-497 as my other choice. I really like the stlye of grados (sr60 old school over hd497 star trek) and I'm sure they sound better too. Although I dont want any upset any librarians or teachers. Do grados really leak out sound that BAD? It seems people here really recommend grados sr60, but what else would you recommend, if grados are out of the question? Budget: <$70

Thanks

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 7
Yes, Grados do. You wouldn't want to wear them in a library (assuming it's _meant_ to be quiet). Everyone in the room would hear.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 7
Angle the SONY MDR-E10 buds outwards like the drivers on the
Sennheiser headband buds PX10. The looser the better. Great open spacious clear extended sound. Best buds under $50.

Don't angle them into the ear canal or they will sound muffled.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 7
I'd go straight for a set of Senn HD201s . For one thing they are dirt cheap at $19.95 and to my ears they sound pretty dang good both amped and unamped. They don't leak nearly as much sound as open cans (they're a closed design) and sound pretty "grado-like" as far I'm concerned. Best part, if you try them and don't like them you can get your money back (minus shipping of course) from Headroom or just sell them here for $15 or so.

My 2¢,

Nate

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 7
hehe, Grado definitely isn't suited for school - unless you don't want to use them during any classes.

IEMs would be the best choice for going unnoticed. the 201 would be a great budget choice, with the 280 and Beyer 250 for more-money choices.

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I'd go straight for a set of Senn HD201s . For one thing they are dirt cheap at $19.95 and to my ears they sound pretty dang good both amped and unamped. They don't leak nearly as much sound as open cans (they're a closed design) and sound pretty "grado-like" as far I'm concerned. Best part, if you try them and don't like them you can get your money back (minus shipping of course) from Headroom or just sell them here for $15 or so.

My 2¢,

Nate

ditto..
201s are amazing... (find away to hide tht long cable though)

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 7
I cant recommend anything.

Go grado or go home.

Seriously... thats my preference under $300.

All the closed cans I have owned in that price range have fallen short of my expectations in some way or another... HD280, MDRV6, MDRCD-770, MDR-CD870, DT770. I transplanted SR60 drivers into the CD870, and its close but no cigar.

Maybe I'll give the A900, HD25-1, or K270/K280 a shot, but not any time soon since I dont need a closed can. Theyre also out of that price range.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back