Alternatives to dedicated headphone amps
May 4, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

I'll consult with the Mrs.

davo,
You have violated the first commandment of the male-dominated headphone community. Please refrain from making these statements, as they may adversely influence the impressionable younger members here. We don't want them to get the wrong idea. Future statements regarding consultations with wives or significant others may result in a lifetime ban.
Remember....it's YOUR head and YOUR headphones. Just do it!
wink.gif

May 4, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #17 of 20
I used the headphone outlet my Parasound HCA-800 mk.II power amp with my Senn HD580's power amp for a year, and it's pretty darn good--even for solid state.

May 4, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #18 of 20
MacDeff,

Thanks. I was leaning toward the L40 anyway. You do get what you pay for.

Joelongwood.

You cracked me (and my wife!) up!!! She's the first to admit that I discuss everything with her and then do what I like anyway. I thought for about 10 minutes to have something witty with which to respond to you, but I couldn't come up with anything to equal your quip. Thanks for the har har!

Toddathan,

Thanks, but what I really need is a stand alone source (CD) with a good headphone out as a first step with a good amp soon to follow (unless my wife hears about it).

Good group!

May 4, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 20
Yes, there are a few manufactures that make good headphone jacks. But, a lot of this has to do with which headphones you are using. I have used extremely detailed headphones with a slow, dark, and sluggest headphone output, and achieved pretty good results. I guess this all depends on what you think is good for the money.

May 4, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #20 of 20
Heres a question....

I know that there will be some people out there dying to ask this question so i'll ask for them. It seems a reasonable enough question.

WHAT MAKES A GOOD HEADPHONE JACK?

Is it the output power? Output impedance? specifics of the design or a culmination of all three?

I have a fairly decent Pre (Audiolab 8000q - was £1300 when new) but I still feel the need for a dedicated tube-headphone amplifier. My HD580s seem a little muddy and don't seem to want to get involved in the music. Perhaps this is just the 580s seemingly unqhenchable thirst for power?

So there you have it. What makes a good one and what factors act towards it being a bad one?

Sound As Ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back