alternatives to Canalphones
Mar 16, 2005 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NiceCans

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for an alternative to canalphones as I cannot deal with having stuff in my ears like that. So I wish to replace my ER6's with another form-factor.

I already have some PX100 & PX200 which I like, but need something without a headband for when I cannot mess up my hair-do. (I also love the additional portability of the Ety's for times when even the PX100 folded are too bulky to carry.)

I have briefly considered a good pair of buds (ATH CM7?) but I have never gotten earbuds to stay in place or to sound good as I cannot get/maintain a seal (maybe I am not inserting them properly).
Or perhaps I should consider a different style like clip-ons? (Koss KSC or ATH?)

I am looking for something to replace my ER6, and would like to get somethins at least as good in sound quality (but perhaps a bit more bass).

I would like to TRY to stay between $50.oo to $100.oo or so (think ER6 price-range max!.

Thanx in advance!

(Yes I have read other posts and searched before posting but need more info)

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, as far as I know, the KSC do not isolate like canal phones. Not sure if its an issue for you or not.

Personally, I will be getting a KSC until I get a better source. I don't have a portable source usable with my UM2, and the Porta Pro messes up my hair.

But since I like its sound, I'll be getting a KSC-75 in the mean time... if I can find one in the UK.

Mar 16, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 8
disregarding price range, I'd choose the KSC-35/75. Had the former and loved it, but I had to get used to the comfort. (painful for the first few days) Broke though, so I just ordered the 75. Hope it ain't as ugly as I think it is. Wish it were black and "cheaper" looking. Also, coming form memory, I preferred the ksc over the er-6. The latter had more detail IIRC, but the treble just wasn't right.

Mar 16, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 8
I have heard alot of good about the KSC35/75, but I am thinking I need more isolation.

I just was out walking with PX100's and the noise fo the cars was extremely disturbing to me. Apparently I am spoiled by Ety's isolation or there is more traffic around here than before the winter
confused.gif

What gives the next-best isolation (after canalphones) without going into the canal as deep? Ex71? MD33?
I imagine earbuds are out.

Dang, the Ety's are perfect if only they did not bother my ears so.

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 8
Sounds similar to the problem I had with the Etys.. my problems were more with the cord, but similar. I loved the ER-4P sound and isolation, but the comfort just didn't work for me.

I'm using EX71s now, and I wouldn't exactly call them canalphones. I'd call them super-comfy earbuds that actually stay in, unlike buds, and isolate somewhat. Much less isolation than the Etys, but much more comfortable too. I'm doing frequent removal/reinsertion, and the tips are much better suited to that than the Etys were.

Edit: I should probably, y'know, actually answer the question. I think the EX71/MD33/etc type of 'phone will be the most isolation without being a 'full' canalphone. There's definitely a lot of isolation - but the Etys are SO good at isolation that they will really spoil you for it and nothing in the 'earbud-plus' category will SOUND like a lot of isolation to you.

Mar 18, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 8
I think the ex71's or md33's would work well for you. While they don't have as much isolation as ety's/shures/etc, they're probably as close as you can get. I have the ex71's, and while I haven't used them in a while, IIRC they isolate pretty well. If you have them in with music playing, you aren't going to hear much of what's going on. I didn't notice a huge difference when I got my e2c's, though there probably was one.

I would recommend the md33's over the ex71's. Most people around here say the md33's have a more balanced sound. I did find the ex71's to be pretty unbalanced, with a ton of bass. I don't know if that's your cup of tea, coming from ety's.

I think the koss's sound great though (much better than the ex71's), too bad the open style won't work for you.

Oh, and the ex71's are far more comfortable than my shure's.

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks Perel and Jmmmmm,
That helps alot. MD33's sound like they may fit the bill, particularly after reading some other threads on them.

I did make the mistake of listening to my Ety's with an amp and a touch of 'virtual subwoofer' and it almost makes me cry to think of giving these up.

Right now the thing that drives me nuts about them most is that they make my ears ITCH! inside.
frown.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
I think the ex71's or md33's would work well for you. While they don't have as much isolation as ety's/shures/etc, they're probably as close as you can get. I have the ex71's, and while I haven't used them in a while, IIRC they isolate pretty well. If you have them in with music playing, you aren't going to hear much of what's going on. I didn't notice a huge difference when I got my e2c's, though there probably was one.

I would recommend the md33's over the ex71's. Most people around here say the md33's have a more balanced sound. I did find the ex71's to be pretty unbalanced, with a ton of bass. I don't know if that's your cup of tea, coming from ety's.

I think the koss's sound great though (much better than the ex71's), too bad the open style won't work for you.

Oh, and the ex71's are far more comfortable than my shure's.

The EX71 vary from person to person, mine keep falling out no matter what size buds I put on them.
rolleyes.gif

Currently, I've borrowed some lovely Qualia MDR-EXQ1's , not to be mistake with the EX71s
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back