Alternatives to Bose AE2
Jun 28, 2013 at 3:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Applehusky

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new set of headphones. Got a little money to spend and I want to get a good set of cans to walk around with plugged into my iPod or my phone. I've already got a pair of DT880s which I love but I can't necessarily go anywhere with them and still be taken seriously.

The bose are small and low profile, yet to me, are one of the most comfortable pair of headphones I've tried.
Thing is, for $150, the build quality just doesn't seem up to snuff. They probably built them the way they did to keep the weight down but they feel a little fragile to be walkaround headphones.

So I come to the place where there are a lot of people who know a lot more than I do. What headphones would compare to the bose as far as footprint/style and comfort go (I know full well that this is all subjective) but are a little better made?

I'm looking at grado at the moment. The sr60i looks very promising after listening to a pair at a meet.

Also, these headphones would have to be the over-ear style. I don't know how you guys can even wear on-ear headphones xD

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 11
So your looking for open (sr60i) headphones to walk around with? in public?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 11
call me crazy.
I do think they look good. Sorta industrial and simple. I like em :)

Yeah. I like the look OK for Grados, too. And if you like their sound, you won't be able to find anything quite like it for under $100.

But they really aren't a good choice for public use since they are open headphones. You'll hear all of your environment. But since you have DT880s, I guess you already know what that's like :)

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #6 of 11
Never really thought about the openness. I haven't had cans that I wore around and about before. but you do have a point.

I actually ended up picking up a pair of V-Moda LP2's for only $30 more than the bose believe it or not, and they're rivaling my Beyers in terms of sound quality. Couldn't really be happier with them. Though they do press on my ears more than I'm used to, nothing more than the AKG's I used to have though. 

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 11
Alternatives to bose ae2 huh?...I gotta admit that's a bit of a niche for Bose. They make a decent sounding over ear which is smaller than some on ears and extremely comfortable. That alone gives it a lot of value
Maybe try the Creative Aurvana live? they are pretty small too and I hear the comfort is amazing. Easy to drive like the bose and they sound better

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Had my hart set on the AE2 based on listening to the phones on their demo station. But after reading some very conflicting reviews on head-fi, I decided to see if I can get a listening test om my Samsung S2 with FLAC music I like listening to.

So, I went to the local Bose agent and was told they do not offer listening tests other than through their demo station. No level of explaining to the sales rep could get him to change his mind.

So I lost my cool, got out of the shop and spent double my budget on Sennheiser Momentum headphones at a shop that had no issues helping me test a couple of alternatives (luckily I manged to get 20% discount)
biggrin.gif

A loss to Bose as I was ready to buy, and a win to Sennheiser.

By the by, I am pretty happy with the Momentums, they are NOT as comfortable as the AE2s but bass extension in my view is better.

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 11
So, I went to the local Bose agent and was told they do not offer listening tests other than through their demo station. No level of explaining to the sales rep could get him to change his mind.

Yeah. Bose has their stuff setup to sound best with their speakers/headphones. They don't want you to really test beyond that. LOL

Glad you found the Momentums. Good choice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back