alternatives to Audio Technica ATH M50X
Mar 27, 2017 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bdsrev

New Head-Fier
Hi, I was wondering what people recommend as better or equal alternatives to the ATH M50X, I see a lot of people saying there are better options out there for about the same amount of money, I also see some people say that the M50X is uncomfortable for people that have larger heads

Mar 27, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 23
Hi, I was wondering what people recommend as better or equal alternatives to the ATH M50X, I see a lot of people saying there are better options out there for about the same amount of money, I also see some people say that the M50X is uncomfortable for people that have larger heads

The Samson Z55 is an excellent alternative to the M50X. I believe it may be overall sonically superior, too. Same general price range. Some people say the M40X is a good alternative, as well (I am one of those people). It is more neutral, less v-shaped than the M50X. You might read about those and see what you think. It is possible one could work for you.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 23
Have you actually heard the M50x and are looking for something that sounds different in some specific way (more bass, bigger soundstage), or are you just asking for general recommendations?  It's hard for readers to recommend what's "better or equal" if we don't know what you're used to and what you're looking for.

That said, for a closed back around $150, the M50x are pretty darn good.  I've had them for a while and enjoyed the sound.  If I'm being picky, I'd say the treble sounded a bit sharp and artificial, and there was not much soundstage.  Also, long term comfort wasn't great.  The clamp is a bit tight for large heads and my ears got very warm after about 45 minutes.

What are you looking for and what types of music do you listen to?  What's your budget?  Do need a closed back can for isolation/portable use, or is an open back design for quiet home use okay?

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 23
I hope it's okay to post here still. I'm actually after something as an alternative too, I bought a pair of the m50x and for the most part I like the sound. The comfort on the other hand is where I'll be sending them back on. Unless I get it just right it is hard to go for more than an hour. Before these I used a pair of Sennheiser PX100 II, they were my first proper headphones outside of ipod earbuds and cheapo crap. I bought a pair of IEMs recently as well but the comfort factor kills me too with those. They are the Fidue A73 which apart from a slight distortion in the left side and discomfort were pretty good sounding. I listen to hip hop and rap mostly, but after that I like listening to Rock and Metal, sabbath, iron maiden, metallica are some of my favourites in that genre. I know its a hard ask but I'm after an all rounder really. Or close to, something I can enjoy and give me the bass I want too. My budget is $250+ I guess. Of course I'm happy to go lower for a gem and I'm open to an amp. My source is 320 and FLAC and my main device is cowen plenue D.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #7 of 23
I hope it's okay to post here still. I'm actually after something as an alternative too, I bought a pair of the m50x and for the most part I like the sound. The comfort on the other hand is where I'll be sending them back on. Unless I get it just right it is hard to go for more than an hour. Before these I used a pair of Sennheiser PX100 II, they were my first proper headphones outside of ipod earbuds and cheapo crap. I bought a pair of IEMs recently as well but the comfort factor kills me too with those. They are the Fidue A73 which apart from a slight distortion in the left side and discomfort were pretty good sounding. I listen to hip hop and rap mostly, but after that I like listening to Rock and Metal, sabbath, iron maiden, metallica are some of my favourites in that genre. I know its a hard ask but I'm after an all rounder really. Or close to, something I can enjoy and give me the bass I want too. My budget is $250+ I guess. Of course I'm happy to go lower for a gem and I'm open to an amp. My source is 320 and FLAC and my main device is cowen plenue D.
Wowzer--this is an old thread! Nonetheless, for your interests, I think I might look at a SoundMAGIC HP151. It ticks several of your boxes and is an excellent value. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 23
Wowzer--this is an old thread! Nonetheless, for your interests, I think I might look at a SoundMAGIC HP151. It ticks several of your boxes and is an excellent value. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It is possible it could work for you.
Yes, the OP hasn't made a posy since 2017 and may not even read here anymore. Well, sometimes Zombie threads are fun to watch lurch about.

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 23
I would find something with an overall signature that you really liked, starting with a bass centric signature, and then use gentle EQ cuts to tailor the bass to your preferences. Or, of course find a more neutral tuned headphone and just allow your ears to acclimate to less bass. I wonder how the NAD HP50 would do for you? I like the Onkyo H900M and it would be a candidate to slightly trim the bass. I'm sure there are many more neutral tuned headphones, but so many sound signature permeations and comfort levels that it is hard to know. I also like the M40x in general as another poster mentioned, it is certainly more neutral than the M50x going by memory of that headphone. Not sure how they differ comfort wise mind you as I only have the M40x on hand.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 23
Sony MDR-1A
Beyerdynamic DT 770
Hifiman HE400i
Meze 99

None of these are "basshead" cans, but should provide a good amount of bass for the genres you mentioned. YMMV FYI, I've only heard the DT 770 from that list, as well as M50x and PX 100 II. Suggestions are from reading others' impressions.

Jul 11, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 23
You're going to get very different responses. I found M50 to be quite uncomfortable - strangely enough the bow diameter is too large for me even with lowest setting. So they never fit snuggly. I went to Hd600 and comfort is indescribably better, I do forget they are there. The sound is completely different too, HD600 are very neutral and open style.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 23
Im very interested in the meze 99 classics but theyre a bit pricey. I also liked the look of the DT770s. I was also looking at the Custom Pro One Plus. Choices choices.

I really like my M50x's and have owned the DT770's and Meze 99 Classics. The Meze sounded artificial to me. The sounded good and all, just something was not right.

As for comfort...I have a giant head. I wear a 7-7/8's hat and have zero issues with the M50x, even after many hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back