Alternatives for JVC SU-DH1 + 595 Combo
Apr 10, 2008 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rive

New Head-Fier
Hallo Head-fi´s!

Sorry for the first post being a question but frankly im tapped out other options at this time.

Im looking for an intermediate headphone/surround solution for mainly gaming. I listen to a lot of music as well but since im neither a musician or an audiophile i usually dont get the enormous difference between the high-end and other headphones. I, of course hear that HD555´s sound better than 20 buck cans and 500 buck headphones better than the HD´s. But not more that i can tell that a 500$ bottle of wine tastes "nicer" than the 20$ bottle from the local liquor store.

So, i did a LOT of research on the net on what the market has to offer without really going into the technical stuff. So far the 595´s and 555´s seem like a widely accepted entry model into the world that comes beyond the plugs that come with the ipod.

Since im gaming i also look for surround since it improves the gaming massively. The only one i found so far, and also one that is widely recommended by other gamers and even called an "epiphany" in audio quality (remember, no audiophiles
wink.gif
) is the JVC SU-DH1 Dolby Box. Unfortunately that thing is IMPOSSIBLE to get in Berlin Germany, which is where im located. I phoned alt least a dozen hi-fi stores and no one can order or carrys it. Online stores dont have it, amazon Germany only lists it as not available, amazon UK does not list it at all.

So does anyone know how to get a hold of this thing or can recommend an alternative in that price range (~100-150$) that will enable the 595´s that im about to buy to please me with Dolby Surround? Also the device would have to take optical from the sound source since the consoles only seem to have this outlet next to hdmi and component.

Every help is very appreciated and sorry for bothering you with this but i kinda hit rock bottom with my own research.

Thx, Rive.

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi Rive,

Wellcome to this forum. My answer to your concern has a name:
Creative HQ-2300D.

It's a pack including a pair of headphones (HQ-1500) that you can directly offer to your little sister (or brother)... The other part of the part of the pack is the part to keep: a DD/DTS decoder and Dolby Headphone encoder.

I bought one 3 years ago and that's the way I am watching movies. Check if you can find it in Germany, in France the pack costs about 100 euros. I just would recommend you to plug a headphone amp between the decoder and your senn headphones (a Porta Corda for instance...) for a far better sound.

Hope it helps.

Apr 11, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the help so far guys! Very much appreciated.

@denis: Cheers for the suggestion! That Creative box seems like the right thing to get. Unfortunately no luck so far finding an online source to get the damn thing. Back to the shops again. One Question concerning the amp though. Do i really need a dedicated headphone amp to really get the max out of the senns or can i use the Rotel RA 05 that i have here? Dont need a portable solution really because i really only want to enjoy music from the pc and play games via the HDTV.

@JeffMac: Thanks man, but im a burnt child concerning orders from the us. Seems to be that i always have bad luck with those. Lost several orders already and had one sitting on the border for weeks. Most of the time it checked out but oh, the hassle...

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 8
Rive: If it's US orders specifically that cause problems at customs, I'm almost positive that my Audiocubes order shipped straight from Japan. But if it's all international orders (and I'm guessing it would be) then I don't know what to tell you.

Either way, good luck. You've got to get one of these things -- it sounds great!

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hallo Head-fi´s!

Sorry for the first post being a question but frankly im tapped out other options at this time.

Im looking for an intermediate headphone/surround solution for mainly gaming. I listen to a lot of music as well but since im neither a musician or an audiophile i usually dont get the enormous difference between the high-end and other headphones. I, of course hear that HD555´s sound better than 20 buck cans and 500 buck headphones better than the HD´s. But not more that i can tell that a 500$ bottle of wine tastes "nicer" than the 20$ bottle from the local liquor store.

So, i did a LOT of research on the net on what the market has to offer without really going into the technical stuff. So far the 595´s and 555´s seem like a widely accepted entry model into the world that comes beyond the plugs that come with the ipod.

Since im gaming i also look for surround since it improves the gaming massively. The only one i found so far, and also one that is widely recommended by other gamers and even called an "epiphany" in audio quality (remember, no audiophiles
wink.gif
) is the JVC SU-DH1 Dolby Box. Unfortunately that thing is IMPOSSIBLE to get in Berlin Germany, which is where im located. I phoned alt least a dozen hi-fi stores and no one can order or carrys it. Online stores dont have it, amazon Germany only lists it as not available, amazon UK does not list it at all.

So does anyone know how to get a hold of this thing or can recommend an alternative in that price range (~100-150$) that will enable the 595´s that im about to buy to please me with Dolby Surround? Also the device would have to take optical from the sound source since the consoles only seem to have this outlet next to hdmi and component.

Every help is very appreciated and sorry for bothering you with this but i kinda hit rock bottom with my own research.

Thx, Rive.

The Astro mix amp is better & was made for gaming. (Not sure if they make a 220 V model though. It uses the 2nd DH chipset, so it's more efficient, & less power hungry.. Plus you can power it up while playing at the same time via USB cable.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

@denis: Cheers for the suggestion! That Creative box seems like the right thing to get. Unfortunately no luck so far finding an online source to get the damn thing. Back to the shops again. One Question concerning the amp though. Do i really need a dedicated headphone amp to really get the max out of the senns or can i use the Rotel RA 05 that i have here? Dont need a portable solution really because i really only want to enjoy music from the pc and play games via the HDTV.

If you can't find the device in Germany, maybe can you go on Amazon.fr and ask a seller if he can ship it to your country. If you want to get a better sound, I think you should go with an dedicated headphone amp but you can do it with your Rotel amp. Yes, it is a portable solution. But you can use it anyway at home. Philips and Pioneer make home solution for this kind of product but it is not the same price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back