Alternative / upgrade for AKG K550s
Oct 7, 2022 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheGiantHogweed

1000+ Head-Fier
Although it may seem an unusual choice, I have used my K550s as portable headphones for over 8 years now with my FiiO X3, which shows no signs of giving up. I've had the original K550s as well as the MKIII. Both have developed the same issue with any pressure being put on the driver (gently tapping on the ear cup) makes the driver make popping and cracking noises. It is strange as they still sound perfect if I sit perfectly still. The solution to this is to uncover one of the 3 holes that go through to the driver enclosure which reduces the pressure. But this makes them sound just too thin.

I am after very similar sounding headphones, but with one main difference - I would appreciate rather a lot more impact to the bass. This is not something I would be after if they were for home listening, but on buses, the vibration from the road and engine makes the bass being amplified beneficial. I usually don’t like bass heavy headphones, but despite this, on buses, I boost the bass by as much as 10db most of the time.

Just so you know the headphones I’ve used, I’ll list them:

Audio Technica ATH-AD700
AKG K550
AKG K550MKIII
AKG K702
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm

All have the sort of sound signature I’m pretty keen on. Bright or very bright treble and not all that much in the way of bass impact.

2 headphones that I’ve been getting interested in are the Austrian Audio Hi-X55 and Audio Technica M70X. I’ve been trying to find a store that has them in so I can compare them to my K550s. I managed to try out the Hi-X65 just for the sake of interest, and while they are open back, they sounded incredibly similar to my K550s. Just slightly more detailed with warmer midrange, though not quite as much bass. I’ve been a bit concerned by many showing the frequency response of the x55 as it does look a bit odd with that huge spike at the mids. Anyone who has heard the M70x and K550s will be great to hear from. They are probably my preference at the moment, but I don’t really know what sort of sound to expect. I’ve read that the M50s won’t be my thing as they are very heavy bass. I prefer a more studio-like experience. Even though the K550s are more like that, I still think they could do with more low end impact than they have. Even my open back DT880s have more bass than the K550s.

Other requirements for the sort of headphones I want:

Must be over ear headphones that don’t clamp very hard. A family member has the HD280 pro and they are like a pair of clamps on me head!

Detachable cable. I like that AKG often use mini XLR. I’ve made many cables at custom lengths with this connector. Locking 2.5mm connectors will be ok too, so long as the brand offers a short cable as well as a long one (either included or as an extra purchase).

They also need to be able to fold flat so they can be put in a laptop bag.

Any suggestions or info about the headphones I've mentioned?

Many thanks!

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Oct 8, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 5
I haven't found all that much information on them, but some of the reviews on headfi imply they are bass head headphones which will likely be overwhelming for me. I also could do with going to somewhere that has them on display so i can try them first. Ebay also doesn't have the easiest of returns policies.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Oct 11, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 5
Neither of these fold flat which I would need for a laptop bag and they are too pricey for me anyway. I also will add that a single entry cable is also a requirement. I'm thinking I will probably end up trying the M70x from somewhere that has a returns policy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back