Alternative to the Sony MDR-V6 for producing.
Feb 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

imdos

New Head-Fier
Hi people!

I'm going to college soon and I need new headphones to use with my laptop. I'm following the course for music production, and I will of course have to work a lot with my laptop there, doing mixing and producing and similar things. 
I have a pair of ATH-M50s that I use on the go but I really do not like them for producing at all. They're too coloured and really don't give an accurate representation of your mix. 
Initially the Sony MDR-V6 seemed perfect for me, relatively cheap, durable, relatively flat sounding. But they're impossible to find in my country (the Netherlands) for less than €90, which is a whopping 50% price increase from the asking price on Amazon.com.
I tried searching for alternatives around that price, but all you seem to find these days in that price bracket are "DJ" headphones with "Extra Bass" for "Sick Beats". Personally, I don't want any of that. 

So I was wondering if there was an alternative pair of headphones I haven't thought of yet that is:

1) 60-90 euros. I _can_ go higher, but don't necessarily want to if at all possible. I've already spent €150 on my ATH-M50s and €300 on my HD600s. (Too bad I can't take the HD600s with me)
2) Durable.
3) Relatively flat sounding; good for production / studio work.
4) Drivable directly from a Macbook Pro.

I am willing to go for the MDR-V6 if there's nothing better suited for me, but I would like to explore all my options first.

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Brainwavz HM5/Fischer Audio FA-003 maybe? They are pretty neutral at least for my ears and that was the consensus here few years back when I got them. These are re-brands of the same cans for dirt cheap (I think Fischer sold them for $300 and I paid 100e for my pair).

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 9
AKG K240s/240mkII (semi-open) (60-85 euros)
K271mkII (closed) If you want to push your budget up a little. (105 euros)

All three are 55ohm impedance and very neutral. I used the K271's for my guitar amp and computer before upgrading.

btw: these prices are converted from US dollars and may not reflect what it actually costs in Europe.

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 9
  Brainwavz HM5/Fischer Audio FA-003 maybe? They are pretty neutral at least for my ears and that was the consensus here few years back when I got them. These are re-brands of the same cans for dirt cheap (I think Fischer sold them for $300 and I paid 100e for my pair).

Are they really the same pair? Because they'd be too good to be true! £27,50 for a $300-ish pair? 
I'd buy them in a heartbeat if it's true.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Shure SHR440 would be my recommendation. I own the V6 and find the SHR440 a good alternative. If you buy them you can replace the pads with HM5 pads (the headphone being mentioned above) which can be found at MP4Nation.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 9
You might want to check out the Superlux range. I'll bet there's something suitable and cheap in there.

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 9
I checked out some threads concerning the Jaycar "FA-003", and they convinced me. The reviews for the FA-003 sound exactly like what I need and for roughly 10 times cheaper, I really couldn't say no. 
Thanks for all your other suggestions, too! 

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 9
A bit of a bump just to let anybody who cares know that buying those Jaycar headphones was absolutely the right choice.
They sound very nice and neutral, feel nice, come with replacement pads and a 6.3mm screw-on adapter, and sound amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back