Alternative to Sony V6 for DJing and listening
Nov 25, 2005 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

massappeal85

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm a DJ and was using a pair of V6s for a couple years until the left channel went quieter then the right. Searching the forums I found someone selling a pair that had the same problem only it was the right channel. Not long ago on ebay there were 2 pairs auctioned together with similar problems only I think one channel would not play on each. Talking to the guy, he said it wasn't the first time hes had problems with the headphones but he keeps buying them anyway because he likes them, and said it was usually the wireng going through the headband that would go bad.

Because of this, I'm not trying to get another pair of V6s. I've not read about this happening with 7506s though. I was wondering if there was a difference in the wireing (I know the V6 and 7506 are nearly identical) inside the headphone since the plug is different, or if because the 7506 is touted as the "professional" version maybe Sony fixed the problem with those.

If not, I wanted to know what you think would be a good alternative to the V6 for DJing. My pricerange is flexible but I'd like it to be around the same as the V6s, and I'd prefer something thats more comfortable while retaining similar build quality. I don't think I enjoyed the way the V6s sounded so much it seemed sort of harsh and revealing and not entirely enjoyable. For djing I'd only be cueing up tracks but something that could serve double as hi-fi and dj cans would be cool.

Peace.

Nov 25, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 11
Try looking into a pair of Sennheiser HD25-1. They seem to be good DJ-ing phones and great sounding to boot.

Nov 26, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 11
Just browsed past a pair of HD-25-1's for sale in the forums.

I've got no need for a second pair...

I've no association with the seller, but these cans are highly recommended.

Do a quick search if interested.

Nov 27, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOKROX
HEADROOM (headphone.com) says the HD215 is "bass shy".

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-215.php

The reviews of the HD215 that I read said that it sounded flat dry and
boring.

IMO, the HD 215 certainly is not a basshead phone like a DT-770, so I guess I would agree that it is slightly bass shy. However, to these ears, the HD 215 has more bass (though not better bass) than the K271S.

As for the dry and flat sound, I would think that the lack of coloration would be an advantage for DJing. I'n no DJ, though.

Nov 27, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 11
Omg... my v6 also suffered that problem, after half a year trying to find out what happened, i returned them to sony and got 70$ USD and 20$ rembursement back and im also wondering what to buy... im thinkin ath-500

Was it the wire going through the headband that was the problem?

btw shouldnt the sucessor "Sony Mdr-v7 or CD900St" be good replacement for Mdr-V6 or is it just out of the pric range?

Dec 5, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 11
"Was it the wire going through the headband that was the problem?"

I took the headphone apart and there seemed to be no cut in the wireing or any fraying. Before I heard of the wireing problems I thought the one driver was just going bad, which could be the case. However, knowing that wiring is a common problem has kept me from buying another pair. Also in the process of taking them apart I lost a spring that goes in the headband, so now I'm thinking maybe someday I'll just make a loli-pop headphone out of the one driver that sounds right.

I'm considering getting the Beyerdynamic dt770 for equal parts djing and gaming, and am thinking of getting another headphone for listening (head-fi never disapoints
orphsmile.gif
)

What I'd like to know now is how well do the dt770s isolate compared to the V6 and other closed cans? I've read there are holes in the dt770s driver housings that act as bass reflexes, but I've not been able to see them in pictures and I'm wondeirng how they affect the isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back