Alternative to sony mdr v6?
Jun 29, 2001 at 2:52 AM Post #2 of 21
ded, I don't find the V6s to be lacking in any area of the sound spectrum. To my ears, they are well balanced, with excellent, tight bass. For the money, I don't think you'll find a better closed headphone.
That said, however, if you're willing to accept an open design, I would recommend the Grado SR-60 ($69) or SR-80 ($95) which do not provide a better sound, just a different one. They both have a very forward midrange and lower treble, which translates into a more detailed sound. Only your ears can determine which one you prefer. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2001 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 21
are the Alessandro MS1's (music series one) equivalent to the sr-60 or sr-80, or are they a completely different set of cans? if anybody knows much more about the MS2's and MSPro's, I really like those phones, even though they might be a bit expensive for me (all but the MS1's)

Jun 29, 2001 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 21
sapphiremodena, I think it was generally acknowledged on Headwize, after much research and discussion that the following is true (possibly) about the Alessandro/Grado line of headphones:
1. The MS-1s are somewhere between the SR-80 and the SR-125.
2. The MS-Pros are not the same as the RS-1s.
3. The Alessandros have been tweaked to provide a more neutral, analytical sound than the Grados.

Jun 29, 2001 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 21
If anything, the midrange and highs are too "forward" on the V6. Every headphone errs from "perfect" response in some way, and this is how the V6 deviates. Anybody who says the MDR-V6 lacks midrange has likely listened too long at elevated levels and damaged their hearing!

Jun 29, 2001 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 21
From my limited experience with V6, I'm with Mike here. I don't think they lack midrange. Perhaps they can sound thin and hollow if connected to a really weak (3,5 mW) and/or badly sounding portable source.
To answer your question, in the same price range the above mentioned Grados do sound better. If you want to stay with closed cans Denon AHD 750 and 950 sound attractive. Moving up the price Beyerdynamic DT250 are very good sounding closed cans also.

Jun 29, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 21
Some alternatives for the V6's:

Denon AHD-750
Denon AHD-950
Beyerdynamic DT-250
Grado SR-60
Grao SR-80
Allesandro MS-1's

And now, MY (open) reccomendation:

Sennheiser HD-495

Jun 29, 2001 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 21
I've never heard the MS-1, but I did own the SR-80s, which I believe are a close relative. I can tell you, to my ears, they did not have the bass output of the 325s, which many here consider to have the best bass slam of all the Grados. Personally, I think the MS-Pros have that honor, followed by the HP-1s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2001 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 21
The Grado SR60/80/MS-1 are better sounding phones. I think the V6 is a little lacking in the midrange depertment as well. Despite the upper midrange glare the rest of the midband is recessed. The bass is looser than said Grado's.

Jun 29, 2001 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 21
Also, the V6 can get a little annoying if you listen to music that was recorded badly. They are most certainly studio monitors at heart, and they are not kind to old or faulty recordings. I listened to them for a while listening to a lot of 70's rock, and they definitely got fatiguing after a while. The SR80's are not as fatiguing, IMO, and just plain sound better.

Jun 30, 2001 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
Also, the V6 can get a little annoying if you listen to music that was recorded badly. They are most certainly studio monitors at heart, and they are not kind to old or faulty recordings. I listened to them for a while listening to a lot of 70's rock, and they definitely got fatiguing after a while. The SR80's are not as fatiguing, IMO, and just plain sound better.

I don't find them fatiguing at all. And now that I'm trying to put some hours on the 7506's I just bought, the HD-600's have been in hiding the last couple days.

Jun 30, 2001 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
MY (open) reccomendation:

Sennheiser HD-495

I considered getting one of these because they look good and seem comfortable to wear, but they don't have very much bass do they?

Also, how much sound do they leak? compared to say grados?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back