Alternative to Shure SE530's?
Mar 8, 2009 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

threeFiftyLi

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of SE530's and I am still getting used to the feel of them. I had some ER6i's previously and I got use to the ease of putting them in my ears quickly and easily. The SE530's sound amazing but I don't like putting the wires over my ear and I don't like how they take so much time to put it in my ears because of the larger size and how they are specific to L and R.

Is there any other alternatives in the SE530's category that are smaller and more like the ER6i's in terms of fit?

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by threeFiftyLi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of SE530's and I am still getting used to the feel of them. I had some ER6i's previously and I got use to the ease of putting them in my ears quickly and easily. The SE530's sound amazing but I don't like putting the wires over my ear and I don't like how they take so much time to put it in my ears because of the larger size and how they are specific to L and R.

Is there any other alternatives in the SE530's category that are smaller and more like the ER6i's in terms of fit?

Give them some time, You will get used to it buddy...

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 18
IIRC you don't have to put them over your ear to use them, you can stick them in like a standard bud phone.

Sorry about the Left-Right thing though, because even the $20 pair of Sonys I have are like that. I think usually it's just to get the stereo sound right, so when this guy says right and left he's on your right and left side and not coming equally from both sides.

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 18
Shure products are probably easist to put in, just take some time, its really quiet simple... I prefer it over my ER6i by miles in terms of fit. ER6i took sooo long to fit its crazy just to get a "good" fit (Take the tip of my ears open my mouth, fit the left in, repeat for the right, and equally annoying for taking it out)

Humm Monster Turbine is kinda big, but it sounds great, straight down fit.

The Shure one can also be weared straight down. the LR thing its the same with the ER6i you cant really tell which one is which until u read the label. I loved how they did it for the E2c just simple grey and right, and eventually its soo natural u know straight away which one is left and right, because of the curve and only fit over the ear.

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by e__ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC you don't have to put them over your ear to use them, you can stick them in like a standard bud phone....

True, that's how I used to wear mine, comfortable, yes, but I still found them very bulky.

See this: techPowerUp :: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Earphones Review :: Page 1 / 4

I had the Super.fi 5, and sold them to get the SE530 thinking they'd be much better, and regretted the decision as, to my ears, they only sounded marginally better. They're also half the price of the SE530s.

However, if you're thinking of buying them, don't get them mixed up with the older & uncomfortable Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro, which is probably more popular and also more expensive, and can only be worn over the ears.

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks guys for the input, I guess I'll give it some time to see how I feel. Though, one thing I am trying to get used to is the weight of the cable. Since it uses a extension, it has the extra weight of a male and female plug. Does anyone find this to be an issue? Or is there a solution for this?

Thanks guys for the input!

Mar 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 18
Eh. Whenever I buy a product I never see anything as an issue and just something that takes a little adjusting, so no, I don't see extra weight as an issue. After enough time the extensions start to feel a little natural.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 18
q-Jays are really small and I've heard they are comparable in SQ to the SE530s.

I've heard that the SE530s have a lot better bass though and that they're sound isolation is much superior to the q-Jays.

Also, I've read that the SE530s are some of the most comfortable IEMs out there, so I'm surprised you're considering an alternative.

I would love to own a pair of SE530s.

I'll trade you for my q-Jays? Haha.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by threeFiftyLi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys for the input, I guess I'll give it some time to see how I feel. Though, one thing I am trying to get used to is the weight of the cable. Since it uses a extension, it has the extra weight of a male and female plug. Does anyone find this to be an issue? Or is there a solution for this?

Thanks guys for the input!

Like I already said on my previous post, I found the SE530 bulky, in fact, too bulky and heavy. That's one o the reasons I love my Westone 3, they not only sounds better (to me), but they are way WAY lighter, with no cable extensions, cable is thinner (yet stronger) and flexible, with NO microphonics, BUT they can only be worn over the ear; And even a little more comfortable in the ear too --They are more expensive too $350-$400

Mar 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, if you're thinking of buying them, don't get them mixed up with the older & uncomfortable Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro, which is probably more popular and also more expensive, and can only be worn over the ears.

The Super.fi 5 Pro is dual drivers and Super.fi 5 is single balanced armature driver. 2 different class of products. The 5 Pro sounds better.

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #14 of 18
opsek, just because the Pro hast two drivers does not mean it is better. The 5 is supposed to be ahead of the 5 Pro in sound quality, soundstage, and fit. Look at the Phonak Audeo, it compares to some of the higher class multiple driver IEMs.

Mar 9, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 18
Personally, I would recommend trying Head-Direct RE0 first. They are a high-end IEM with lots of detail and a very neutral sound. They should fit very nicely and can be worn with the wire straight down. Head-Direct has a very generous 30 day return policy in case you won't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back