Alternative to Schiit Asgard 2
Apr 24, 2014 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tralalakuda

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've just joined this forum although I have been a silent reader for some time.

I'm currently using a pair of HD650 (and I also own M50) and I'm using it on my desktop with Magni/Modi stack. However I just recently bought Klipsch Promedia Multimedia Speakers for my desktop and I realized that whenever my Modi is attached I can't really switch it to my Klipsch speaker. I search for the solution for this issue and I found that Asgard 2 has the option to have a pre-amp output for desktop speakers in addition to my cans, and this is exactly what I need.

However I'm just wondering if there are any other alternatives to Asgard 2 for my objective? I don't need to really amplify my speaker as I only use it to watch movies / other stuffs from my desktop, thus I don't really need amplifier for that.

Also, if Asgard 2 is the best choice, I'm looking to sell / trade my Magni for Asgard 2. Or if anybody want to sell their Asgard 2, please pm me.

Thank you!

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 10
So if I understand correctly, your speakers are being powered by your Magni? Or are your speakers being powered by your PC, and you don't want to have to switch between USB audio and analog out?

Either way...with some extra cables/adapters, you should be able to connect a Schiit SYS to switch the output of your Magni between the speakers and headphones. You will have to leave the volume on SYS all the way up for this to work properly. I think Magni would have enough power for your speakers, but don't quote me on that.

Otherwise, the Asgard 2 does seem like it has what you want/need. I can't comment on sound quality differences between it and Magni, but it would certainly work.

Apr 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Let me try to make things clear, I'm sorry if it's not too clear in my previous post..

So currently what is happening is I'm attaching my speaker cable to the onboard sound card on the desktop that I have, however since modi is already attached to my desktop via USB, the speaker won't operate unless I detach my modi.

Right now I'm thinking of 2 solutions:
1. Getting a splitter for my magni output, 1 will go to my HD650 and the other 1 will go to the speaker. However I presumably see the cons here is that my magni will power both my speaker and cans which I'm not sure if they will cause any distortion to either my speaker / headphone. As for switching between speakers & headphone, I can manually detach either one if I'm not using it.

2. Getting an Asgard 2 or similar amps with the extra pre-amp output specifically designed for desktop speakers (any idea what amp offer this feature other than Asgard 2?). I read the Asgard 2 description that it will automatically shut off the pre-amp output if I am attaching my cans to it. The issue is I'm wondering if it's worth to spend the extra $150 of getting an Asgard 2 in terms of sound quality other than the extra speaker output.

Moreover, will it be ok to pair modi with Asgard 2? I tried to look around the internet, most people couple asgard with bifrost and I can't find any information yet on people coupling Modi with Asgard.

As for my speaker, I don't think amplification is necessary but if it's possible why not.

Apr 24, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 10
Okay. Then I don't think you should bother with the SYS at all. I think an adapter and a manual switch (that is, you swap between headphones and speakers by manually disconnecting one), would be much easier. For splitting (keeping both attached at all times), it will certainly make things different since you'll be splitting the current output, and the difference in input impedance might change the sound of both (more to the 650's, I'm guessing).

I cannot say whether the Asgard 2 will be worth it for you. I do like my Valhalla more than my Magni (using HD600's), but that's going from solid state to tubes. The benefits of the Asgard should be some improved sound quality and some extra power for higher impedance 'phones. Trying one is probably the best way to determine if it's "worth it" for your situation. You do have the 15-day satisfaction window if you have to buy one. Then you'd only be out $12+shipping if it wasn't worth it. Just food for thought...

As for Modi paired with Asgard, of course it will work. The only thing to note is that Bifrost is a "better" DAC, and I think most people pair the two because they're willing to spend more on a DAC.

I hope I actually helped and didn't just make things more confusing. Good luck.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you for your reply, it's not confusing at all indeed..

I'm really tempted to try the Asgard 2, I checked on Amazon that Schiit are selling Asgard 2 fulfilled by Amazon. Do you know if I can make use of Amazon's return policy instead of Schiit's if I purchase it through them?

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 10
So currently what is happening is I'm attaching my speaker cable to the onboard sound card on the desktop that I have, however since modi is already attached to my desktop via USB, the speaker won't operate unless I detach my modi.

You shouldn't have to detach the Modi. You should be able to switch over to the onboard audio through the sound properties in the Windows control panel instead.

1. Getting a splitter for my magni output, 1 will go to my HD650 and the other 1 will go to the speaker. However I presumably see the cons here is that my magni will power both my speaker and cans which I'm not sure if they will cause any distortion to either my speaker / headphone. As for switching between speakers & headphone, I can manually detach either one if I'm not using it.

You mean the Modi? Right? You need to split the output from the DAC and run it to the Magni and your speakers.

I have the Asgard 2. It's quite nice. However, $150 is a lot to spend for a pre-amp so that you can use $150 speakers. Then again, you might like the Asgard 2 better for you HD650s. It is considered a better amp than the Magni.

Look for an RCA (or A/V) switch on Amazon. There are some fairly inexpensive options that you could use to hook up the Modi, the Magni, and your Promedia.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #7 of 10
You shouldn't have to detach the Modi. You should be able to switch over to the onboard audio through the sound properties in the Windows control panel instead.
You mean the Modi? Right? You need to split the output from the DAC and run it to the Magni and your speakers.

I have the Asgard 2. It's quite nice. However, $150 is a lot to spend for a pre-amp so that you can use $150 speakers. Then again, you might like the Asgard 2 better for you HD650s. It is considered a better amp than the Magni.

Look for an RCA (or A/V) switch on Amazon. There are some fairly inexpensive options that you could use to hook up the Modi, the Magni, and your Promedia.

Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Anyway, when I was searching on the web yesterday, I come across on O2/ODAC (Limited Edition) combo with the option of RCA input & DAC output. What do you think about O2/ODAC product compared to Magni/Modi or  Asgard2/Modi?

After some thought, I can still up my budget to the price of O2/ODAC (I can also offload my Modi to get the O2/ODAC limited edition).

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 10
The Modi/Magni and O2/ODAC are generally considered comparable by many head-fiers. Either that, or people argue quite vehemently over which is slightly better. Which just confirms that they are comparable. :)

So since you already have the Modi/Magni, there would be no advantage to switching to the O2/ODAC. Those are RCA inputs on the back, not outputs. No way to hook up speakers.

I have not heard the Magni, but the Asgard 2 is a bit of a step up over the O2--but not a giant step.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 10
The Modi/Magni and O2/ODAC are generally considered comparable by many head-fiers. Either that, or people argue quite vehemently over which is slightly better. Which just confirms that they are comparable.
smily_headphones1.gif

So since you already have the Modi/Magni, there would be no advantage to switching to the O2/ODAC. Those are RCA inputs on the back, not outputs. No way to hook up speakers.

I have not heard the Magni, but the Asgard 2 is a bit of a step up over the O2--but not a giant step.

Thanks for the swift reply..

Anyway, decided to just go for cheap RCA switch from Amazon and see if it works, otherwise I will shoot for an Asgard 2 probably in coming weeks if the switch is not up to my taste.

And for the O2/ODAC limited edition, I believe it also said that the supposedly RCA input can also be used for DAC output (CMIIW, but that's my understanding after reading from JDSLabs website).

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 10
There's also the Nile AXP-1, which is a heavy duty, well built metal switching unit that will probably last 100 years (lol). It's marketed for switching between multiple sources to one output, but works the same the other way, too. I have one, but don't use it anymore. I much prefer the convenience of controlling my speakers and headphones with the Asgard 2 volume control. Since the Niles generally runs about $100, seems better to me to trade in the Magni for the Asgard 2 for the better amp, too, which is why I didn't suggest it previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back