alternative to my er6i
Dec 11, 2008 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

cYbernation

New Head-Fier
Hello
I'm currently searching a replacement for my er6i. They served me well in the last three years but I think my taste has shifted and I need something which has a little more bass to it. I read the board the whole day but there are just too many opinions.
From what I found I guess those few could be possible candidates
sennheiser IE8
super.fi 5pro
Etymotic ER4P ?

I always liked the neutral sounding of the er6i but it just needs a bit more bass.
I'm wondering how good the ER4P are handling that task since I'm very pleased with etymotic?!
I read a lot that the IE8 do not isolate that much? Is it really noticeable?
thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 19
I agree that the ER4P won't offer much more bass than the ER6.

If you enjoy and prefer the Etymotic sound, the IE8 bass will seem overwhelming. Think of the Etymotics as having a sound shifted a bit towards the upper midrange and treble - the IE8 are the opposite, with sound favoring the lower midrange and bass.

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the ER4P won't offer much more bass than the ER6.

If you enjoy and prefer the Etymotic sound, the IE8 bass will seem overwhelming. Think of the Etymotics as having a sound shifted a bit towards the upper midrange and treble - the IE8 are the opposite, with sound favoring the lower midrange and bass.

I thought so too from what I've read but I guess I want to try something new and I'd like to try warmer sounding earphones

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 19
(IEMs listed in no particular order)

Shure SE530 (mids forward, slightly rolled off treble, good all-around), Westone 3 (plenty of threads on this one, can be had cheap enough through Microsoft Live + Ebay through authorized dealer), SA6 (clear, customizable sound, replaceable cables), Q-Jays (comfortable), Image X10 (comfortable++, warm sound)

Any of those would easily serve you well. I think the IE8 would also work, but isn't it a bit pricey right now?

If you want a bit more bass, definitely stay away from the the ER4P, as there won't be any more. If however you want to stick with Etymotic, ER4P is the only way to go (of course).

Also, stay away from the Super.fi 5 Pro. There are many better options in that price range.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 19
I am in the same boat as you. However, I am traveling from one extreme end of the scale to the other end. Going from no-bass and high detail ER6 to the club-bass Super.fi EB 5 pro.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(IEMs listed in no particular order)

Shure SE530 (mids forward, slightly rolled off treble, good all-around), Westone 3 (plenty of threads on this one, can be had cheap enough through Microsoft Live + Ebay through authorized dealer), SA6 (clear, customizable sound, replaceable cables), Q-Jays (comfortable), Image X10 (comfortable++, warm sound)

Any of those would easily serve you well. I think the IE8 would also work, but isn't it a bit pricey right now?

If you want a bit more bass, definitely stay away from the the ER4P, as there won't be any more. If however you want to stick with Etymotic, ER4P is the only way to go (of course).

Also, stay away from the Super.fi 5 Pro. There are many better options in that price range.

since I'm from germany the westone 3 are a too expensive for me. or is there a european dealer?
I guess I will go with the IE8.

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 19
I just read more about the isolation of the IE8. kinda worries me.
I guess if more noise leaks in you automatically try to turn the volume up which I dont want to do. I like my ears
wink.gif

is it really that much of an issue?
are the westone 3 only available in the usa?
cause they seem very interesting.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 19
Go ER4P.

They have a very pleasant and deep bass. (If not, the problem is the seal)

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go ER4P.

They have a very pleasant and deep bass. (If not, the problem is the seal)

which eartips would you recommend with them?

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 19
Lightgray triflanges. (but each people's earcanal is different)

The trick is not push them the harder the better. (This can lead to crush the hole in the flange, closing it)

You have to get some kind of 'vacuum' by trying to release them a bit after insertion, looking for that vacuum feeling.

They are also sensitive to the angle you insert. To find the proper seal is not "automatic" in the Etys, but once you get it... omg

And if you use an amp, is better than heaven.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back