Alternative to MDR-7506? I need your help! No headphone amp!
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

juanderful

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fiers! I'm currently in the market for a new set of "laptop headphones".

For the past 4 years, I've been using the Sony MDR-7506's, and have definitely enjoyed these headphones so far, as they reproduce an almost unbelievably accurate sound without being biased in any frequency range (obvious, given that it's a studio monitor). I have been using these headphones without a headphone amp on all of my devices (laptop, ipod, pc), and would like to keep it that way. I just can't afford carrying a separate piece of equipment with me just so my headphones can sound slightly better. Since the right channel of my MDR-7506 started buzzing recently, I've decided to consider buying another set of headphones, maybe even an exact replacement if there isn't any other headphones. So here's where you guys come in!

My criteria for new headphones:

1) Must be able to be decently driven without a headphone amp. Keep in mind that I will use the headphones on devices such as iPods/mp3 players, and laptops with integrated sound card. I perhaps will consider buying a headphone amp much later in the future, but I would like the headphones to be able to sound very good without the need for a headphone amp (low nominal impedance/high sensitivity?) For example, the MDR-7506 sound great even without a headphone amp.

2) Portability. It must be able to fold decently into a carry bag or pouch to bring to places. If not able to fold, the headphones must be easy to store away in a backpack without the fear of it being crushed. For example, I like how the MDR-7506 earcups can be folded into a sort of ball shape, and fits into the provided leather carry-pouch.

3) Closed-back headphones. I also own a Senn HD595 at home, and use that occasionally to listen to music, and I appreciate the wide soundstage that open-air headphones provide, but in this case, I need headphones that provide some sort of isolation, and closed-back headphones would work best. So for example, Grados would not work too well, being that they are mainly open-air headphones, unless I'm forgetting some Grado models.

4) Circumaural earphone design (around-the-ear). I don't want headphones that sit on top of the ears, as they cause fatigue way too fast, and I like the enclosed feeling that circumaural headphones provide.

5) Biggest requirement: Sound quality must be equal or be better than the MDR-7506 (MDR-V6). I appreciate the correctness of the MDR-7506 and that it doesn't skimp out on any of the frequency ranges. It produces amazing highs, filling mids, and bass that had presence. Though, one thing to note is, that I wouldn't mind headphones that are more "fun" to listen to. By this I mean, I wouldn't mind headphones which maybe emphasize the bass notes a bit better (punchier, stronger). Even though the MDR-7506 had bass that was very accurate and can reach down low, you couldn't really "feel" the bass like you can on speakers. So I definitely will consider headphones that gives more of a "wow" factor.

5) Last thing, money is not a limiting factor in my decision to purchase new headphones. The headphones could cost more than $500 (hopefully not) but if it meets my requirements, I will definitely consider it. I understand that the higher price you go, the more headphones will require a headphone amp to sound good, so I'm thinking there isn't a high probability that a headphone that matches my criteria would be that expensive.

So, yeah, a pretty exhaustive list of criteria, but the thing I want to stress is that I have no problem replacing my MDR-7506 with another one if there really isn't better headphones that can get the job done, as I am happy with how the MDR-7506 fits my needs already.

Headphones that I've found which I might consider (?): ATH-M50, ATH-ES7, Ultrasone HFI-780, Ultrasone PRO 900, ATH-ESW9A. How would these compare to MDR-7506?

Hopefully you guys can help!

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 3
No one answered this question, but it really sounds exactly what I am also looking for.
One difference, is that i'd like to have a mic on the cable, and it should be shorter than the 7506 one which really makes it annoying to shlep around.

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back