Alternative to Klipsch Custom 2
Feb 14, 2012 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ithos

New Head-Fier
About a 2 years ago I decided I wanted some good earphones and came on here reading reviews and asking advice. I settled on a pair of Klipsch Custom 2. I was very happy with these, though I felt they lacked a little bass and maybe were a bit clinical. After a while I got to really like the sound, though I think I might still like a bit more low end. 

After about a year the wire broke (internally) at the jack end. Iheadphones replaced them for me, which was very nice of them, though the first person I emailed in customer service was very unhelpful.

Just yesterday I the little plastic stalk that connects the rubber gel to the speaker part of the earphone came out somewhere on the street. I don't think I could go back to Iheadphone and say it was a product defect/malfunction again as this time an actual piece is missing which was obviously my fault. Besides they already replaced them once, and I did get 2years out of the 70 or so pounds I spent on them... it's time for a change!

I'm wondering what people here would recommend as similar to the klipsch custom 2, maybe with a bit more low end? I listen to a lot of electronic music, particularly DnB and techno but also things like Mogwai, Crippled Black Phoenix, NIN, and increasingly more slowish metal like Isis, Pelican, Mastodon, and occasionally some rap along the lines of Sutter Kain.

I would spend up to about 200euro or so, any thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated. I quite liked the fit of the klipsch, the large single rubber flange was pretty good, though it could have been a little tighter maybe. I found the cable noise from them very annoying, but I'm not sure if this is avoidable, at least at my price range.

Would monster turbines be a step down precision wise while being a step up in bass? What about phonak or etymotics in this price range? or head direct REO? I was looking at the klipsch s5i but these seem to be a step down from what I had, is that accurate?

I don't expect anyone to answer all of those questions but a few pointers would be great, thanks!

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 3
S5's are bassier S4's from what I hear (and there isn't a ton on them)

Can recommend RE0's here althoguh Shure SE215's probably are more similar in form factor to your Custom 2's -- worth noting.
I think Phonak's will give you a bit more bass but still maintain balance; on the other hand Etymotic's will be really neutral and balanced. Monster Turbines? Definitely a step down in overall balance -- they're bass heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back