Alternative to Filo E10K?
Apr 19, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 21
  I wanted a USB headphone amp with digital output for my DDA amplifier(s)...I tried the Fiio E10K and did not like the sound at all. Too much midrange, not enough punch. Some people must like this device (it gets good reviews) but I thought it was not for me at all.

I then tried two Chinese boxes from Ebay, both of which were around half the price of a Fiio - and both better. And there's a clear winner! Read on...

1. Small box called a DAC-8A which is not bad at all, but needs external PSU. Beats the FIIO E10K in my view, though power output is maybe a little low (I have ATH-A700 phones).

2. Same size... Wosong U308 (also seen with the name Wainsa it seems). EXCELLENT!
- Doesn't need a PSU
- Higher power output to the headphones
- Supports 96KHz (no higher though)
- Simultaneous Co-ax and Optical SPDIF output

I'm a former Little Dot owner, and decided to see if I could get decent sound with a downsized all-digital setup.

The Wosong U308 is a real winner and only cost me £35 in UK money. The only downside is that it doesn't have a pre-amp out - which does not bother me at all because I just wanted headphone and SPDIF outputs. Nice powerful beefy sound from this thing.

Sounds like a good little device the Wosong! Is the volume pot linier? how is the background noise with sensitive cans/iems? I have the ha-info u2+v2s and while it has a nice line out, the headphone is quite noisy and the volume pot is not very even. 

A tip to the Thread starter might be the Xduoo XD-03.. I have no experience of this device but it looks good on paper. I might grab one just to put my curiosity to rest :)

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #17 of 21
Sounds like a good little device the Wosong! Is the volume pot linier? how is the background noise with sensitive cans/iems? I have the ha-info u2+v2s and while it has a nice line out, the headphone is quite noisy and the volume pot is not very even. 

Well I'm only using it with bigger cans and I've not noticed any noise and the volume pot seems fine. For the money it seems like a total bargain.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #18 of 21
  I wanted a USB headphone amp with digital output for my DDA amplifier(s)...I tried the Fiio E10K and did not like the sound at all. Too much midrange, not enough punch. Some people must like this device (it gets good reviews) but I thought it was not for me at all.

I then tried two Chinese boxes from Ebay, both of which were around half the price of a Fiio - and both better. And there's a clear winner! Read on...

1. Small box called a DAC-8A which is not bad at all, but needs external PSU. Beats the FIIO E10K in my view, though power output is maybe a little low (I have ATH-A700 phones).

2. Same size... Wosong U308 (also seen with the name Wainsa it seems). EXCELLENT!
- Doesn't need a PSU
- Higher power output to the headphones
- Supports 96KHz (no higher though)
- Simultaneous Co-ax and Optical SPDIF output

I'm a former Little Dot owner, and decided to see if I could get decent sound with a downsized all-digital setup.

The Wosong U308 is a real winner and only cost me £35 in UK money. The only downside is that it doesn't have a pre-amp out - which does not bother me at all because I just wanted headphone and SPDIF outputs. Nice powerful beefy sound from this thing.

Does the Wosong U308 support 88.2Khz audio, unlike the Fiio E10K (which is a deal-breaker for me)? Thanks

Apr 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 21
the volume, gain, and bass only take effect in the headphone output.  

The line out port is I believe a 2mv signal and does stay at the same volume at all times. 

Both outputs work at all times, no matter if one or the other is unplugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back