Alternative to Beyerdynamic DT 880
May 17, 2019 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MattFH

New Head-Fier
I consider the Beyerdynamic DT 880 one of the best options under 300€/$, however its roughness is a serious problem that makes tracks which accidentally use the areas where the peaks are in a melodic or other way nearly unlistenable, or at least much worse than with a more neutral presentation. Sometimes it can also sound a little "thin", or tinny.

What would you suggest as an alternative to this headphone which is at least as neutral and "musical" and doesn't have those rough peaks?

May 17, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #2 of 12
I guess the DT880 is considered to have a slightly bright sound.
What sources or DAC/amps are you plugging your headphones into?

May 22, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 12
Hello, I'm using the ODAC+O2, in an early iteration. I also perceive the DT880 (32 Ohm and 250 Ohm) to be a bit noisy, in addition to being bright. This however might not be due to "noise" as to a wild and sharp curve in treble.

The Rtings site incidentally ranks the DT990 above the DT880. However they tested the DT880 32 Ohm version, which I know to have a much more "flabby" sound than the 250 Ohm version. I'm considering whether the 600Ohm version might be good enough for me. Or maybe the DT990, although I like a neutral sound for all situations.
But I'm not sure if maybe the overall sound is just not for me (I find them a bit "tinny") and I might prefer some other headphone. The problem is: AKG isn't for me either (warm, veiled, unseparated Sennheiser neither), and in fact I prefer the DT880 to many others. That's why I'm asking for an alternative to them, something that is actually as good as them, but not the same. It can also be close to 300$/€.

Last edited:
May 22, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 12
600-Ohm headphones are just not practical.
If your using an OTL tube head amp or A/V receiver, to plug headphones into, then using a 600-Ohm is workable.
But otherwise lower impedance (Ohm) can sound just as good (or even better), then a 600-Ohm headphone.

May 31, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the suggestion, but could you (someone) explain what would be the problems or disadvantages of getting the 600 Ohm version? Because I think otherwise I would get it. Most say it slightly improves on the other versions of the Beyerdynamic DT880. And there just don't seem to be many alternatives (maybe Philips, but they are out of stock and more expensive now...).

And the first ODAC+O2 I think has something about 300Ohm output (could be wrong) and there is always leeway. I had a Audio Technica R70X which has 470Ohm and it was fine as far as driving it was concerned. Actually it's much more pleasant if it's not so loud at low volume settings. And there is Gain control anyway, which I think gives the full output needed.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 12
Im a newbie in sound gear. I can only say, be cautious on beyerdynamics ratings on DT 880.
32ohm rated 3/3 stars at portable use
250ohm rated 3/3 stars at home hi-fi use, and 1/3 stars for portable use
600ohm rated 3/3 stars at high end system.

At first, i just bought the 250ohm because im sure that my ibasso D14 DAC/AMP is enough to drive it, as the ibasso said can drive up to 300ohm headphones impedance. Yes, i have the loudness until i can't bear. also i can get the enough loudness if i plug it directly to my Asus Zenfone 5.
BUT in my experiment, i plug the DT880 into my old Sony FH313 compo home audio, there are big differences how it sounds, more air, more soundstage, more powerful, more detail at THE APPROX. SAME LOUDNESS.
And my reason to join this forum to find out, how it could be happen? The DAC/AMP has enough power for the loudness, but the compo give me an amazing sound.

This NOT happen to my DT 770 Pro 32 ohm. There's only small diference between directly plug to handphone, DAC/AMP, or home audio.

On your case, just try by your self the 600 Ohm into a Hi-End system, then compare to your portabel system. If there is no difference just grab it, but i think it must be huge.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Im a newbie in sound gear. I can only say, be cautious on Beyerdynamics ratings on DT 880.
32ohm rated 3/3 stars at portable use
250ohm rated 3/3 stars at home hi-fi use, and 1/3 stars for portable use
600ohm rated 3/3 stars at high end system.
At first, i just bought the 250-Ohm because I'm sure that my iBasso D14 DAC/AMP is enough to drive it, as the iBasso said can drive up to 300-ohm headphones impedance. Yes, i have the loudness until i can't bear. also i can get the enough loudness if i plug it directly to my Asus Zenfone 5.
BUT in my experiment, i plug the DT880 into my old Sony FH313 compo home audio, there are big differences how it sounds, more air, more sound stage, more powerful, more detail at THE APPROX. SAME LOUDNESS.
And my reason to join this forum to find out, how it could be happen? The DAC/AMP has enough power for the loudness, but the compo give me an amazing sound.
This NOT happen to my DT 770 Pro 32 ohm. There's only small difference between directly plug to handphone, DAC/AMP, or home audio.
On your case, just try by your self the 600 Ohm into a Hi-End system, then compare to your portable system. If there is no difference just grab it, but i think it must be huge.
Are you asking a question or making a statement?

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 12
Are you asking a question or making a statement?

Both.
My answer for the question about 600ohm disadvantage. It would sound best when plug into high end audio. Perhaps we can get enough loudness from other kind of audio system, but wouldn't get the DT880 best performance.

The answer based on my experience on my DT 880 250 ohm. There's a big difference when my DT880 plugged into DAC/AMP compared when i plugged it into home audio.
But that's not happen to my DT770 32ohm, almost the same sound. So i assume that my DT770 reach it's maximum performance with the DAC/AMP.

And my question, how it could be happen? My DAC/AMP supposed to be enough to drive up to 300ohm headphone impedance. But it cannot drive to maximum performance of DT 880 250Ohm.
Sorry for my bad english, hope you can get it...

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 12
I have now the 600 Ohm version, and even after some burn-in I must admit getting a 600 Ohm headphone might not be the best idea. I can use it perfectly normally at higher volume setting, and it would doubtlessly get good ratings (as it does, of course), but it seems to lose some dynamics or responsiveness, some small details or layers which one would otherwise expect. And one can get some dynamics and details back, but it seems one has to turn up the headphone louder, with the details still being quieter. One hears that it's "harder to drive". And while the sound is cleaner as a result, I don't really find it worth it and it's kind of a more boring headphone in comparison.
Either way, the 250 Ohm version should be enough.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #10 of 12
I have now the 600 Ohm version, and even after some burn-in I must admit getting a 600 Ohm headphone might not be the best idea. I can use it perfectly normally at higher volume setting, and it would doubtlessly get good ratings (as it does, of course), but it seems to lose some dynamics or responsiveness, some small details or layers which one would otherwise expect. And one can get some dynamics and details back, but it seems one has to turn up the headphone louder, with the details still being quieter. One hears that it's "harder to drive". And while the sound is cleaner as a result, I don't really find it worth it and it's kind of a more boring headphone in comparison.
Either way, the 250 Ohm version should be enough.
The DT990 overshadows the mids, one of the reason I never use my DT990 any more.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 12
G.... G....G...
GRADO.
There I said it.
Just get the model you want to pay for and you might be done with it once and for all :gs1000smile:
How about ATH AD900? It has great midrange without amp, good for jazz & rock. also, It won't hurt your wallet much.
You can watch its review on FB2Mate. I think it's still available now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back