Alternative to Audirvana for using Vst3 on Windows
May 6, 2023 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mikejazz

100+ Head-Fier
I exclusively stream, so Audirvana is great--- mainly because I use pro quality Vst3 eq. But Audirvana is super quirky. Not very stable. Any other way to have a high quality streaming player that can use these plugins? I'm addicted to Fabfilter---- by far my best audio purchase.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 3
I also use JRiver on windows, as well as Audirvana, it allows for use of VST plugins also. I do not own the fabfilter one, but use several other commercial vst plugins and they all have worked with JRiver without issue so far. In comparison, some of those caused crashes/dump files on Audirvana. I also love the Audirvana sound, and the various settings one can play with. I would have to say though that I have found the quality achievable in JRiver also very good....opinions are dividied on JRiver, so YMMV.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Audirvana is buggy, but in my experience it still has the best vst implementation of any music player. J River is the other big one and what the majority of people using vsts for playback are probably using. I don’t especially like J River’s interface and I’ve also had bad luck with plugins not working properly. Could just be my system tho, so try it out for yourself.

Foobar and music bee are going to be your other options for players, but their vst support is through extensions written by third parties and have even less support. I think they are both limited to 32bit vsts as well but I could be wrong.

The last thing you can try if you don’t mind using windows audio drivers is using vb-audio cable to route your music to a standalone vst host like lighthost, or hang loose convolver. This is the only way to get vsts on windows to operate system wide, but I don’t prefer it because I’d rather only use one asio/wasapi driver.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back