Alternative to ATH-A900X? post-rock, trance, gaming
Feb 6, 2014 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Z Naught

New Head-Fier
A month ago I asked for recommendations on some new headphones to replace my ATH-M50s ( ​ ) and it was suggested that I get the ATH-A900Xs.

I quite like the ATH-A900Xs, however, the clamping force is not quite sufficient. When I apply slight pressure to each pad the immersion and quality are exactly where I want it to be. It was also suggested I check out the K550s, however, I have read clamping is a problem with them as well.

Are there any other alternatives that match the sound quality of the ATH-A900Xs, but improve upon the lack of clamping?

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 29
  Anyone know of anything in the same class?

Class as in price? 

Oh yea, if you want CLAMP and you can handle open headphones, the Beyerdyanmic DT 990  Pro 250, needs amping, but cost $150 new and clamps very nicely. And it's super comfy 

Or you could rubber band the Wing on your A900x 

Feb 7, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 29
  Class as in price? 

Oh yea, if you want CLAMP and you can handle open headphones, the Beyerdyanmic DT 990  Pro 250, needs amping, but cost $150 new and clamps very nicely. And it's super comfy 

Or you could rubber band the Wing on your A900x 

I am willing to spend a bit more, say $250. I would like to stick with closed headphones as I live with other people.

I will be building the O2 amp so that should not be a problem (and I have a ASUS Xonar DX).

As for "modding" the A900Xs, I don't feel like I should need to modify $200 headphones to get them where I want them.

Feb 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 29
  I am willing to spend a bit more, say $250. I would like to stick with closed headphones as I live with other people.
I will be building the O2 amp so that should not be a problem (and I have a ASUS Xonar DX).
As for "modding" the A900Xs, I don't feel like I should need to modify $200 headphones to get them where I want them.

I found tying down the wings (towards the cups) over night (or two) changes the "memory" in the springs that work the wings, making them hold up better.
Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping improve the grip.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 29
  I found tying down the wings (towards the cups) over night (or two) changes the "memory" in the springs that work the wings, making them hold up better.
Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping improve the grip.

I followed that advice in the other thread in which I asked you about this. It did certainly improve the wings performance, but didn't completely fix it.

From what I read in the ATH-A900X owners thread, the Hifiman pads (either velour or leather) did not really improve seal.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 29

I followed that advice in the other thread in which I asked you about this. It did certainly improve the wings performance, but didn't completely fix it.

From what I read in the ATH-A900X owners thread, the Hifiman pads (either velour or leather) did not really improve seal.

As the firm Velour ear pads are thicker then the soft A900X stock pads, it tightens up the grip on the head.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 29

... I see... I should mention I've spent about... $300 modding my $350 W1000x, my D2k has gotten about $250 in mods at this point... you could how ever try the Sound Magic HP 100, I prefered it over the A900x, for Comfort and sound 

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 29
  ... I see... I should mention I've spent about... $300 modding my $350 W1000x, my D2k has gotten about $250 in mods at this point... you could how ever try the Sound Magic HP 100, I prefered it over the A900x, for Comfort and sound 

What do you like better sound wise, with the HP 100, over the A900X?

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 29
  What do you like better sound wise, with the HP 100, over the A900X?

Well, I had the First Revision of the Hp 100 [there are at least 2, the first HP 100s made where a little on the direr side. WOnderful smooth mids and tuat bass. The bass in perticular had excellent Sub bass extension and a slight mid bass dip]

I found the hp 100 to be more balanced overall compared to the A900x, the A900x is how ever a more fun can to listen to due to a slight hump in mid bass and on the treblle

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 29
  How would  the DT880s 250Ohms stand up against the HP 100 and A900X?

I have until February 22nd to return the ATH-A900Xs

The DT 880 would murder them both, but this get's into a Closed VS open situation and the DT 880 250 ohm would need an amp, and yes I owned all 3 of those headphones

The DT 880 will NOT isolate sound, and may leak a touch, meaning you can hear those around you and they might be able to hear you, also you should not power a DT 880 250 ohm with a standalone DAP, or cell phone or Laptop. I would suggest buying something like the Fiio E11. and lastly the DT 880 will not smooth over your music, meaning you may want to get a dac into that system, so you may want to try something like the JDS Labs C5D or the Fiio E17 or E18

How ever, you only need an amp, but a dac is highly recommended to get the most out of any headphone, and espically out of the lovely DT 880

I will say how ever, the DT 880 does not have the quanity of bass the A900x has, it does how ever have a tighter and slighty deeper bass. I enjoyted my DT 880, and sold my Hp 100 and A900x 

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 29

The DT 880 would murder them both, but this get's into a Closed VS open situation and the DT 880 250 ohm would need an amp, and yes I owned all 3 of those headphones

The DT 880 will NOT isolate sound, and may leak a touch, meaning you can hear those around you and they might be able to hear you, also you should not power a DT 880 250 ohm with a standalone DAP, or cell phone or Laptop. I would suggest buying something like the Fiio E11. and lastly the DT 880 will not smooth over your music, meaning you may want to get a dac into that system, so you may want to try something like the JDS Labs C5D or the Fiio E17 or E18

How ever, you only need an amp, but a dac is highly recommended to get the most out of any headphone, and espically out of the lovely DT 880

I will say how ever, the DT 880 does not have the quanity of bass the A900x has, it does how ever have a tighter and slighty deeper bass. I enjoyted my DT 880, and sold my Hp 100 and A900x 

I have never owned anything but closed headphones. Is it worth checking out? I do live with other people currently, so if it is fully open (arent the DT880s half open?) it may be a problem.

I currently have an ASUS Xonar DX sound card, so I am covered as far as a DAC goes. I have already purchased the PCB for the O2 amp that I will be building, so that should also be covered. I do not need to drive these headphones with my phone as I have my old ATH-M50s which I plan to use for mobile use.

So in your opinion is it fair to say that:
DT 880 > HP 100 > A900X?

I certainly like the bass on the A900Xs, however, I had the M50s previously so I haven't had anything with similar bass to the DT 880s you describe.

For clarification, are we talking about the DT 880 pros or premium?

Have you had the AKG K550s? Do they fit anywhere in this lineup for you?

Feb 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 29

I have never owned anything but closed headphones. Is it worth checking out? I do live with other people currently, so if it is fully open (arent the DT880s half open?) it may be a problem.

I currently have an ASUS Xonar DX sound card, so I am covered as far as a DAC goes. I have already purchased the PCB for the O2 amp that I will be building, so that should also be covered. I do not need to drive these headphones with my phone as I have my old ATH-M50s which I plan to use for mobile use.

So in your opinion is it fair to say that:
DT 880 > HP 100 > A900X?

I certainly like the bass on the A900Xs, however, I had the M50s previously so I haven't had anything with similar bass to the DT 880s you describe.

For clarification, are we talking about the DT 880 pros or premium?

Have you had the AKG K550s? Do they fit anywhere in this lineup for you?

The Pro and preium DT 880 sound the same, except one cost more for some reasons

get the pros

Yes I had teh AKG K550 as well, it was wonderful when it fit... it's finnicky with the seal, but it's worth trying out 

the K550 and the hp 100 where on par for me, and again, the DT 880 without an amp might sound a little bass shy, so to get teh best out of them I'd suggest getting one. But, my first headphone was the SOny XB 700, and going from teh 700 to the DT 880, I was impressed with the DT 880s bass :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back