Alternative to Altoids tin?
Aug 6, 2009 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Thrashingshrimp

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of building a cmoybb, but I hate how most Altoid tins look. Does anyone know of any other enclosure I can purchase online that is small and somewhat sleek, that I can build a cmoy in?

No, I don't want to build the enclosure, I want to buy it. Sorry
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 10
I've got a great hazard yellow rifle cleaning tin (with supplies inside). It's a bit bigger than an altoid tin, but you could get a lot of amp inside of it.

Aug 6, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 10
I've used small stash boxes (egad!), which I bought off ebay. Did an amp in a Ramones tin, and another one in a Marley tin. They were nice actually, the lid was gasketed, and it was just a touch bigger than the Altoids tin.

I have a Swiss Army knife tin on hand, and another tin that a Fossil wallet came in.

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 10
I never finished my cmoy (started but went onto other things). but I was using a plastic cough drop box. plastic was easy to work and you don't NEED metal (not really).

2687328124_ec991f507c.jpg

advantage: no need for insulation 'fish paper' on the circuit or battery area.

...maybe I should finish this, just for the heck of it
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Will a cmoy from Jdslabs fit in this?:

1455A802BK

If not, then what is the smallest enclosure that would?

Also, does anyone know if there is anyone out there who would build a cmoy from JDSLabs for me in this enclosure? That would be awesome, though I suppose I could do it myself.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 10
I would think that it would be a very tight fit if you do not use a potentiometer and maybe use only external power. I do not think a 9V battery or a potentiometer would fit in there, that case seems too thin. The dimensions of an altoids tin is:

Quote:

It turns out that the little tin was a Altoids tin. The peppermint tin has dimensions of 3 inches and 3/4 in length. It is 2 and a half inches wide. It is 7/8 of an inch
deep.

also your link is: (0.47 in x 2.76 in x 3.15 in)
1455a802bk

The length and width seem fine, but the thickness seems too thin for a 9V battery (0.6 in thick?), pot, and large capacitors.

I've cased my cmoys in altoid tins and also in the round altoids tins. Even with the round tins, I could only fit one 9V battery with the lid completely shut. I've only worked with radioshack protoboards. With one 9V battery I find that the TLE2072 and TE2082 work very well and to me sound better than an OPA2132/OPA2134 or OPA2227.
atsmile.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 10
I rather like the Hammond 1593 range the larger size has a battery compartment, and the abs makes them easy to cut and drill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back