Alternative(s) to HD 800 S?
Oct 15, 2022 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

djentlemetal

New Head-Fier
Hi there! I'm brand new on Head-Fi, and I'd very much enjoy your expert insight into the lands beyond/outside of the HD 800 S. I've had them for about a year, and they instantly became my new daily drivers since I got them. I love them, but lately I've had the itch to get something different. I want something that can not necessarily outclass the 800s - I realize I'm in the land of diminishing returns here - but I do know I want something that can do bass better. Something that's a bit of a more effective all-rounder, I suppose.

Lately, I've been doing a bunch of research, and I've almost pulled the trigger on the HE 1000 V2, given that the general consensus is that it's a slightly warmer, richer Arya. In fact, the Arya was the very first alternative I considered, but I found myself saying, "Well, if I'm gonna get the Arya, why not explore the higher peaks of TOTL cans?". I also have an LCD-X and, while I love the sound - especially the bass, it's just too heavy to be worn for an extended period of time. Basically, I want a good compromise between an LCD-X and an HD800 S: the slam of the LCD-X with the stage and detail of the 800 S. I know that those things can cancel each other out, but that's why I'm good to settle for something that can do a bit of both. Hence, a good all-rounder.

I was about to pull the trigger on the HE1000 V2s when I also found an Empyrean at a very good price used. I know these catch flak for their supposed muddiness, but I've also seen people be awed by the stage and general wow factor of these. Both the Hifiman and Meze are apparently very comfortable as well. I listen to almost all genres of music, and I love watching movies and I game quite a bit. Which of these two are "it" for me? Or is there something else that you would recommend as well? Perhaps a ZMF Verite or something like that?

Edit: I was also looking at the OG Clears, given there great price, and their apparent bass-handling ability. I am put off by their apparent clipping issues, though. Anything up to around the $2,000 range is what I'm in for, specifically.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 47
The Meze Empyrean is too warm for me but yes it is very comfortable. I would recommend Sony MDR-Z1R if you want more bass (but it is a closed back). My favorite so far is Fostex TH-909, compared to HD800S it is warmer and slightly more bass, less soundstage than 800S, less bass than MDR-Z1R.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 47
If you are looking for a good compomise There is the the meze liric for something planar like with very fast and textured dynamic like bass along with good relative stage and imaging. Doesnt have as wide a soundstage as HD800 but goes significantly outside the cups when properly powered. The main downside to the liric is the lack of midrange micro detail making everything sound very clean but if you are into highly dynamic macro contrast with buttery smooth vocals this headphone is for you.

While in theory meze claims that this are designed for portable use imo by powering with relatively low current dongles you are doing the liric a disservice as it kind of sound semi congested on my shanling UA5. Somthing like the ibasso DX300 or similar bricks are recommended by me if you want to use this outdoors. It also benifits alot form clean sounding source chains as its pretty warm itself but depending on how much body you want somthing like the Xduoo MT604(or other hybrid amps in general) will make it very fun meaty sounding but without having the decay overlap and mudding up the saperation and imaging due to its planar characterics.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 47
If you are looking for a good compomise There is the the meze liric for something planar like with very fast and textured dynamic like bass along with good relative stage and imaging. Doesnt have as wide a soundstage as HD800 but goes significantly outside the cups when properly powered. The main downside to the liric is the lack of midrange micro detail making everything sound very clean but if you are into highly dynamic macro contrast with buttery smooth vocals this headphone is for you.

While in theory meze claims that this are designed for portable use imo by powering with relatively low current dongles you are doing the liric a disservice as it kind of sound semi congested on my shanling UA5. Somthing like the ibasso DX300 or similar bricks are recommended by me if you want to use this outdoors. It also benifits alot form clean sounding source chains as its pretty warm itself but depending on how much body you want somthing like the Xduoo MT604(or other hybrid amps in general) will make it very fun meaty sounding but without having the decay overlap and mudding up the saperation and imaging due to its planar characterics.
I didn't even consider the Liric, thanks! My current amp/DAC setup is a Jotunheim 1/Bifrost 2. I also have a Darkvoice that makes the HD 800s sound ALIVE. Last night I was listening to the live version of Jacob Collier's Never Gonna Be Alone, lead by Lizzy McAlpine w/ John Mayer singing harmony and playing guitar. I tend to let my Darkvoice gather dust because it's so cumbersome and has an annoying buzz that doesn't seem to go away (I even left it on for over 24 hours, and it has aftermarket tubes that I put in that I've since forgotten their names), but it was only the second time I tried the 800s on this tube amp, and this time it just happened to be the perfect song. I could hear and feel everything as if I was there.

Anyway, I digress and ramble. I'll take a look into the Lirics as a consideration. Thanks again.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 47
ZMF Atrium all day, every day
Might be a little out of my budget new, but I'd love to try them used. I kind of ignored the ZMFs because I found a few people who said they were on the heavier side (500g, give or take) and I see a TON of them for sale on here and r/avexchange. But I'm not at all opposed to them if they truly are magic. I don't need hyper-detailed cans, really. I just want something that sounds alive. Then again, why are they always up for sale?

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 47
The Meze Empyrean is too warm for me but yes it is very comfortable. I would recommend Sony MDR-Z1R if you want more bass (but it is a closed back). My favorite so far is Fostex TH-909, compared to HD800S it is warmer and slightly more bass, less soundstage than 800S, less bass than MDR-Z1R.
I haven't looked in Fostex's direction, yet, but now I am. The TH-909s are just pretty to look at. Apparently, and like an 800, they are best served with a proper amp pairing. I'd hope that my Jot1/BF2 wouldn't do them a disservice. The Sonys are neat, but I've seen so many mixed reviews. Obviously everyone's ears are different, though. One thing I see come up quite a bit are terms like 'lifeless' and 'hollow'. I don't need just bass canons, if that's what they mainly are, but I do need something with more balls in the low end than my 800s, if that makes sense. Give me more life down low. Hell, more life everywhere.

Oct 15, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 47
I didn't even consider the Liric, thanks! My current amp/DAC setup is a Jotunheim 1/Bifrost 2. I also have a Darkvoice that makes the HD 800s sound ALIVE. Last night I was listening to the live version of Jacob Collier's Never Gonna Be Alone, lead by Lizzy McAlpine w/ John Mayer singing harmony and playing guitar. I tend to let my Darkvoice gather dust because it's so cumbersome and has an annoying buzz that doesn't seem to go away (I even left it on for over 24 hours, and it has aftermarket tubes that I put in that I've since forgotten their names), but it was only the second time I tried the 800s on this tube amp, and this time it just happened to be the perfect song. I could hear and feel everything as if I was there.

Anyway, I digress and ramble. I'll take a look into the Lirics as a consideration. Thanks again.
Thanks for introducing me to such a wonderful voice. Currently listening to Jacob's music on the Hifiman R9 on tubes and its so therapeutic. If you are after a softer sound that fits with his music its something to consider. Just note that the upper registers(8khz and up) on the R9 is not detailed at all and can sound foggy if you listen to alot of techno/metal. But on vocal and soundtrack focused music its very nice. Has really nice impact as well.

Also Jolt/Bifrost 2 should pair nicely with liric. Fills up the slightly lacking body nicely.

Oct 15, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 47
Hi there! I'm brand new on Head-Fi, and I'd very much enjoy your expert insight into the lands beyond/outside of the HD 800 S. I've had them for about a year, and they instantly became my new daily drivers since I got them. I love them, but lately I've had the itch to get something different. I want something that can not necessarily outclass the 800s - I realize I'm in the land of diminishing returns here - but I do know I want something that can do bass better. Something that's a bit of a more effective all-rounder, I suppose.

Lately, I've been doing a bunch of research, and I've almost pulled the trigger on the HE 1000 V2, given that the general consensus is that it's a slightly warmer, richer Arya. In fact, the Arya was the very first alternative I considered, but I found myself saying, "Well, if I'm gonna get the Arya, why not explore the higher peaks of TOTL cans?". I also have an LCD-X and, while I love the sound - especially the bass, it's just too heavy to be worn for an extended period of time. Basically, I want a good compromise between an LCD-X and an HD800 S: the slam of the LCD-X with the stage and detail of the 800 S. I know that those things can cancel each other out, but that's why I'm good to settle for something that can do a bit of both. Hence, a good all-rounder.

I was about to pull the trigger on the HE1000 V2s when I also found an Empyrean at a very good price used. I know these catch flak for their supposed muddiness, but I've also seen people be awed by the stage and general wow factor of these. Both the Hifiman and Meze are apparently very comfortable as well. I listen to almost all genres of music, and I love watching movies and I game quite a bit. Which of these two are "it" for me? Or is there something else that you would recommend as well? Perhaps a ZMF Verite or something like that?

Edit: I was also looking at the OG Clears, given there great price, and their apparent bass-handling ability. I am put off by their apparent clipping issues, though. Anything up to around the $2,000 range is what I'm in for, specifically.
If you want to max out your budget, the Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 is probably the closest headphone.

Oct 15, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 47
Might be a little out of my budget new, but I'd love to try them used. I kind of ignored the ZMFs because I found a few people who said they were on the heavier side (500g, give or take) and I see a TON of them for sale on here and r/avexchange. But I'm not at all opposed to them if they truly are magic. I don't need hyper-detailed cans, really. I just want something that sounds alive. Then again, why are they always up for sale?
It’s because ZMF is releasing a flagship planar headphone next month called the Caldera. It’s rare for Zach to release two flagship models in the same year, and because of that, ZMF fans are losing their ever loving minds #FOMO

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 47
It’s because ZMF is releasing a flagship planar headphone next month called the Caldera. It’s rare for Zach to release two flagship models in the same year, and because of that, ZMF fans are losing their ever loving minds #FOMO
Man, that makes perfect sense now. I'm assuming the Caldera is going to be in the $4k+ range like other Summit-Fi cans (LCD-5, Utopia, etc.)? I might need to start looking into ZMF some more then.

Oct 15, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 47
I would recommend either the Aeolus or the Auteur as a complimentary headphone to the hd800. They both well under your budget at 1199 and 1499 respectively. The Aeolus is darker, bassier sounding than the hd800. Very good slam which contrast well with the hd800. The Auteur is more neutral sounding, probably the most neutral of ZMF's lineup but retains that ZMF timbre which is to say it's great. I've not heard the current iteration of the Auteur but from what I'm hearing it should be a bit more technically proficient whilst retaining most of it's original characteristics. Pick your poison.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 47
I would recommend either the Aeolus or the Auteur as a complimentary headphone to the hd800. They both well under your budget at 1199 and 1499 respectively. The Aeolus is darker, bassier sounding than the hd800. Very good slam which contrast well with the hd800. The Auteur is more neutral sounding, probably the most neutral of ZMF's lineup but retains that ZMF timbre which is to say it's great. I've not heard the current iteration of the Auteur but from what I'm hearing it should be a bit more technically proficient whilst retaining most of it's original characteristics. Pick your poison.
Interesting, I'll definitely take a look at both. Anyone happen to know of a headphone listening place in the Washington DC area? I've looked, but all the hifi audio stores seem to be mostly focused on speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back