Alternative power supply to the D-25S
Jan 3, 2002 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

reynman

500+ Head-Fier
I can't wait for my d-25s to arrive. I was looking around Thomas Distributing to buy more NiMH Powerex AA batteries when I came across this item:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/maha-powerbank.htm

To those more knowledegeable about power supplies and ratings I had some questions:

I was wondering would I be able to use the Powerbank (Li Ion version) to power the d-25s w/c requires a 9V 600mA or higher power supply?
Would the 9V 500mA power supply affect the the Sony's performance in a negative way?
Would the Powerbank's 7.5V battery rating affect the Sony's performance in a negative way?
Would I always have to use Sony's proprietary battery in conjunction with the Powerbank or can I run the d-25s off the Powerbank alone?
I'm not so sure if that's a M size plug in the picture, but I wrote them an e-mail.

IF this is anyway possible, the Powerbank would be a great alternative (even though it is $52.90) to purchasing the Sony battery, which is older technology and may not hold it's charge due to its age. IF it isn't, I'll just pony up the money to buy an additional battery.

I suppose I could just buy the Powerbank and try it out, but this is not my realm of expertise. I would rather be informed with the correct advice and have the d-25s working properly than screwing up my new toy.

Thanks!

Regards - reynman

Jan 3, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 6
I can't answer your question directly, but if you look at two items I posted (one here, and one on the cable, etc. forum, you'll see that RadioShack sells an AC charger for NiMH batteries that also acts as an outboard power supply, with switchable output voltages and their AdaptaPlug fittings.

Jan 3, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 6
UPDATE: I am leaving most of my original post marking updates in bold paranthesis

The following are estimates based on playing around with Wal-worts (AKA AC/DC power adaptors) and batteries

(I changed my estimates after I bought one and played with it)
Would it work to power it? probablity 90%
Would it work with the battery pack? probability 80%
Would it damage the player? probability 20%
Would it damage the battery pack? probability 50%

My gut tells me that you should stay with 9v (and only 9v) and if anything, INCREASE the amp by up to 900ma[/B](snip)[/B]. Increasing the amps will usually decrease battery charge time PROVIDED the device can handle the increase(it can) . Going down will work in a pinch, but can do bad things to the batteries. Using a lower voltage could affect the max voltage of the batteries and there capacity in a negitive way (and from what i am reading, those batteries ain't cheap).

(I have since found out that the internal battery is a sealed lead acid type. This is a much more forgiving type of battery than a nicad or nimh, so may not be a problem with the lower voltage pack if it is already partly charged)

I am sure that someone sells one of these closer to the correct specs for the sony, so I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

(.....I'm going to have to get me one of these things.....)
(.....I just did......)

Feb 2, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 6
JML and I have been talking about wall-warts in another thread, but I figured I would resurrect this one as part of the discussion was more applicable here. Since my last post, I purchaced a d-25s and have experimented with several generic transformers and have also started experimenting with external battery packs. (I have what my wife would view as an endless supply of wall warts and batteries of various types).

First, I WAS WRONG!!!!. Well maybe.

Right after I got it, I found a 7.6v sealed lead acid battery pack in my garage and have been using it for two weeks without a problem. The unit is charged with a 8v transformer and weighs about 1.5x the d-25s. I don't have any specs on the amp hours available, but basically, with lead batteries, the more lead, the longer it can go.

I find that I prefer the sound with it. The only way I can describe it is that the "eessses" have less distortion.

NOTES: I am using this WITHOUT the internal battery. The reason I wanted to use a battery pack at all was that the main place I want to use the d25 has a limited number of outlets and I didn't want to be constantly plugging and unplugging.

So, anyway, I am revising my battery recommendations some.

Next project is an nicad pack closer to 9v.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 6
redneck, I wonder if there is circuitry that switches between the battery at 6V(BP-100) or 4V(BP-2EX) and the AC adapter at 9V, or if it will function fine on anything in between from the power jack? I know that if the battery is used, the remote control and LCD backlight won't function (by design), but I don't know if that is a function of some internal switching or just what input is getting voltage. I wonder if the unit would function on a 6V AA battery pack to the power input jack for portable use? I guess I can always try it out easily enough, hopefully without any damage, they'd probably have to be alkalines though, as 4-AA rechargeable would only give about 4.8V. It would probably be a lot safer though to just use 6-AA's to get 9V (or 7.2V) for battery use with AA's though.

-Keith

Feb 3, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 6
I suspect the 9v requirement from the port has a lot to do with the charging requirements. Most chargers put out a fiew volts more than the rating of the battery and if it charges and plays at the same time, it will need more. Without the internal battery to charge, it might work fine with 6v at the port, but with a battery to charge, it might damage the charge circuit or worse. I may try it in a day or two since I have some 6v packs that can put out plenty of amps.

If you try it before I do, just be careful unless you want to buy another one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back