Alternative ipod software
Mar 3, 2008 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been away from the portable scene for quite a while but I'm finding it hard to resist a portable mp3 player with the prices plummeting.

I'm thinking of getting a 2gb iPod shuffle for occasional use at work, walking the dog, mowing the lawn, working out, etc. I don't need a screen since I will be using the player as intended - in shuffle mode.

I have owned iPods before. I really dont' want to install iTunes on my PC since I am currently using WMP to manage my library. I used WMP with my last player, a Zen Micro, and I am familiar with it and have no desire to change unless absolutely necessary.

I'm sure my question is already here, somewhere, I just couldn't find it:

What is the easiest non-Apple software that can be used to load mp3 files to an iPod?

Freeware preferred.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 35
Media Monkey is what I use with my shuffle. I have itunes but for some reason it won't work with my shuffle anymore...no big deal. I only use itunes for my Airport Express.

You can set MM to automatically sync upon connection...this is what I do almost daily for my "rock" playlist because I use my shuffle with a boom box at work.

There are other options for this and I'm sure they will be mentioned here.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Media Monkey is what I use with my shuffle. I have itunes but for some reason it won't work with my shuffle anymore...no big deal. I only use itunes for my Airport Express.

You can set MM to automatically sync upon connection...this is what I do almost daily for my "rock" playlist because I use my shuffle with a boom box at work.

There are other options for this and I'm sure they will be mentioned here.

Thanks.

I assume that the 'standard' version is freeware?

I also understand that winamp can be used, with a plug-in. Have you tried that by chance?

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 35
I did begin to use Winamp at one point but I lost patience trying to learn it...and MM worked so well for me that I lost interest.

Yes, the standard version of MM is free and should do all that you need...this is the version that I use.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by majurglery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does it have to be an ipod shuffle? There are plenty of other 1gig non-ipods for half the cost of a shuffle, and you wouldnt have to download a new program.

It doesn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just saw the 2gb shuffle for $70 and that works for me. It's small, cheap, and and simple. I'm not opposed to something else, just that the Shuffle seems perfect for what I want/need.

On top of that, I have owned iPods in the past and found them to be well made and reliable, and they seem to sound pretty good also. I've tried some of the other cheaper players and never liked them. They were quirky and sounded bad. Of course things may have changed since then.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^if Tech2 decided he/she wants an ipod, we're in no position argue that.

i second MediaMonkey. absolutely phenomenal program.

Thank you.

It's like this:

I do all of my 'critical' listening at home. The iPod will just be for casual listening when I'm away from my home set-up and just want some background music while doing some activity other than sitting in a chair. Even at work I will probably use my desktop set-up the great majority of the time. For the times (rarely) that I will be away from my desk, I'd like to have a portable.

Regardless, I believe I'll try Media Monkey. It seems to do everything I want.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't have time now to point out, but shuffle database works well with windows and ipod shuffle 1 or 2g

No need. Google works just fine, and I must admit that I am intrigued. Gives me something to read/learn.

Thanks for the option.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #12 of 35
wait, why not get the creative zen stone plus or a sansa clip. The clip is supposed to be fantastic.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 35
well the op did say that the shuffle was what was wanted. for size, the clip is much larger though. if size is concern and (also did not want a screen), then why question the choice? besides, which other player fits inside a cassette player system?

the clip is a fine player but not what the op asked for. if s/he wanted a screen, then i would suggest rather than that, the sansa express which is a much smaller size and has ability to connect to the computer from its own body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back