Alternative for the Bose Around-ear?
Jun 13, 2008 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Bramme

New Head-Fier
Today I was in Mediamarkt (it's a European chain of superstores) testing out some headphones to go with my new mp3player. Now I heard on other forums that the Sennheiser HD 555 was a very good one, but it's open. And I need a closed one as I want to shut out as much sound from the outside as possible (and I can't stand in-ears, so that's why I want full-size headphones).

The guy in the store had my try out some closed headhpones (techtonics, sennheiser HD 280...), but then I tried the Bose Around-ears. I just love the bass on them. But they're pricey.

I've read everywhere that they actually cost too much and they're not too solid. So now I was wondering: could anyone of you recommend me some similar headphones that give great bass and maybe aren't that pricey?

Thanks!

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 23
I could suggest a pair of headphones that will outperform it by miles that will cost around the same as a pair of Bose AE's. That would be the Beyerdynamic DT-770/80. Best closed headphone I've heard that fits with my personal sonic preference. You can find pairs of DT-770/80 pro online for around $150. Buying retail could cost you around $200 for a pair.

Otherwise, I've heard the Denon AH-D2000, and they were a great warm-bass headphone that was incredibly comfortable. The AH-D1001 is usually around 100 and should be a great deal better than the Bose AE, but I've only heard the step up (D2000).

Those would be the two I would pick up.

Nylan

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 23
Yeah, what you were listening to on the Bose was probably bloated mid-bass, which is what most people are accustomed to. Once you've experienced warmer, deeper bass found in competent (but not necessarily more expensive) headphones, you'll wince at the thought that you once pined for those Bose AEs.

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #4 of 23
Thanks for that. The thing is, I haven't got a clue where to get them here. I don't suppose anyone is from Ghent, Belgium and could tell me where I could get these?

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, what you were listening to on the Bose was probably bloated mid-bass, which is what most people are accustomed to. Once you've experienced warmer, deeper bass found in competent (but not necessarily more expensive) headphones, you'll wince at the thought that you once pined for those Bose AEs.

So you're backing up Nylan? I'll make sure I try to find the ones he mentioned around here! Thanks for the advice so far! I really appreciate it, as you've probably got thousands of people coming in here only posting once, asking for advice...

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 23
I'll 2nd the beyers, as far as closed headphones go, they're the most popular I'd say, and I hear they sound pretty good to boot
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 23
awel bramme, you should look online for stores that sell better headphones. Hifi-stores and Music-production stores often sell them, zenne.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 23
Oh dear, i see the Bose bashers are out already, not making any helpful contributions as per usual, but they're out and about.

In terms of size, the Beyer's aren't really similar to the Bose, they are huge things (Beyer's). In terms of bass you might want to look at the Audio Technica ES7 headphones or the Sennheiser HD25-1 MK II headphones. they're nearly as compact as the Bose, and both will produce the desired deep bass.

as for comfort, the Denon's are hard to beat. but the D1000's I had left me wanting when it came to bass and the midrange could have done with a bit more definition. in terms of size, the D1000's are similar to the AE's, but bass is lacking. I haven't tried the D2000's though.

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh dear, i see the Bose bashers are out already, not making any helpful contributions as per usual, but they're out and about.

In terms of size, the Beyer's aren't really similar to the Bose, they are huge things (Beyer's). In terms of bass you might want to look at the Audio Technica ES7 headphones or the Sennheiser HD25-1 MK II headphones. they're nearly as compact as the Bose, and both will produce the desired deep bass.

as for comfort, the Denon's are hard to beat. but the D1000's I had left me wanting when it came to bass and the midrange could have done with a bit more definition. in terms of size, the D1000's are similar to the AE's, but bass is lacking. I haven't tried the D2000's though.

Okay, I'll admit that 28% of this thread has said something negative about Bose (Me and Robojack). Otherwise, the thread has been fairly cordial. I've heard everything that I recommended, so I was giving my fair and honest opinion of a product that I deem sub-par.

I'd say more, but does any head-fi member really need to discuss Bose again? I'd rather be doing something more productive.

To each his own,

Nylan

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #10 of 23
Hey all

Thanks for the advice so far. Still haven't bought any headphones, as I couldn't find a dealer up untill now who sold the Beyerdynamics or the Denons.

I found one now though, but the Beyerdynamics DT770 is a little bit out of my price range. The 440 or 660 are more interesting price wise. Or are the 770's that much better it's worth the extra 50 euros?

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I concerned about buying FAKE ES7's, as described on that other thread. And I don't want to buy direct for the pricey $160, as I know you can get them cheaper than that on Ebay - but then you have to be "lucky" and not get fake ones. Hehehe. Have you heard the SQ5's yet or know anything about them? I'm in the same boat as the thread starter, I like the Bose AE's but suspect I can get something better and am looking......

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 23
I'd also like to add that if you're patient, you will sometimes see the Bose AE on ebay now and then for about 90 to 100 US dollars. (Not currently, I just checked.) Much better than the $149 retail - does this make them worthwhile to the haters? o-O

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 23
Denon D1000 are 150$ and they are great~!

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 23
HD25-1 MKII look like they would suit your bill. DT770's are great, but they are massive and are closed, but sound does leak in and out a little. THey also need an amp to drive them well i find.

The other beyers are very different headphones. Maybe the AKG K81-DJ or whatever they are called woudl suit you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back