Alternative for a HAP-S1
Jan 16, 2019 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Justice Strike

100+ Head-Fier
I'm slowly building up my music gear. It's starting to become quite a setup. One thing i'm really missing is a good source player. I've been drooling over a Sony Hap-S1 for years now, however they are near impossible to find (for a reasonable price) in Europe.

So i'm looking for alternatives I would be able to use. I'm not shying away from DIY, but i have yet to find anything that would give me the ease and quality that a Sony HAP-S1 is providing me.

Most commercial alternatives are streaming only. All DIY alternatives i've found are however not as easy to use (such as Volumio, not able to easily make a library, or to switch to internet radio/spotify).

Does anyone have any suggestios other than the Sony HAP-S1? Is there actually any new version of this music player that sony released?

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 2
I used to own the HAP S1. I found it to be only average in SQ,and a bit buggy. Further the customer service provided from Sony was absolutely terrible.

What I did to replace it was to buy a good DAC and use an old laptop as the source. Its a cheap,no frills alternative. Granted im not into streaming music,but for my secondary system it works great,for a fraction of the price. If you need streaming,you can always add them to an old laptop and youre good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back