Alternate tips for Westone um1
Oct 20, 2008 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

martinmach

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Posts
33
Likes
0
Hi,

I followed this forum and brought a UE super.fi 3 couple of months ago and later upgraded to a westone um1
icon10.gif
. so far my experience with both of them is a heaven.

all was well until my um1s get dirty too often . i live in a very sweaty atmosphere and the amount of maintenance these foamies demand is high. can you suggest me any alternative ear buds that fits the um1 comfortably and not require regular cleaning? i am not sure about which sizes to order. please suggest me any website to buy them.

PS:
the smaller two sizes of the comply foams fit me perfectly. the smallest of the UE tips also fit me perfectly. little advise here will help me a lot.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Martin
 
Oct 20, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 19

centerfold

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Posts
273
Likes
10
Shure Black Foam Sleeves

If you are using the normal comply foamies that came on your UM1's when you bought them, the medium sized black foamies will fit the bill with your UM1's. The foam is a little be bigger, and does not shrink as much when you squeeze it like the comply's, but the seal and comfort get boosted a notch.

People on this forum say that the shure foamies are easier to clean as well, you can just rinse them with soap and water.
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 19

LCeh

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Posts
109
Likes
51
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Shure black olives on my UM2


How is the sound compared to the original comply's that comes with the UM2?
 
Oct 21, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 19

martinmach

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Posts
33
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure Black Foam Sleeves

If you are using the normal comply foamies that came on your UM1's when you bought them, the medium sized black foamies will fit the bill with your UM1's. The foam is a little be bigger, and does not shrink as much when you squeeze it like the comply's, but the seal and comfort get boosted a notch.

People on this forum say that the shure foamies are easier to clean as well, you can just rinse them with soap and water.




thank you for the quick replies. can some one confirm the above. (i assume that the UM1 comes with 2* small size and 2 * big size, is this correct.). i am using the smallest of comply foams. for super.fi 3, i use the smallest tips because everything else is a bad fit. so should i be getting the medium sized black foamies or the small ones?

is this the one i should be getting?

Amazon.com: Shure EABKF1-10S Black Foam Sleeves - Small: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Shure PA910M Replacement Black Foam Sleeves (Medium) for Shure SE210, SE310, SE420, SE530 and SE530PTH Earphones: Electronics

Thanks in advance
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #10 of 19

homers54321

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Posts
358
Likes
10
the black foamies aka shure olives are "pa910x". x depends on the size, either s,m,l. but in the links that u posted, the pics looks identical. i have UM1s as well and am I wondering if i am a small or a medium. the small complys fit me well but i am wondering if mediums are better?
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 19

fredman22

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Posts
244
Likes
0
Shure Black Olives are sized slightly larger than normal foamies or softips. Unless you feel your ears are markedly larger or smaller than norm I'd start at medium.

I think Soft flex tips are the lowest maintenance of all; they conform well to the ear for a good seal, they do not permanently deform, and are fairly easy to keep clean. Sizing is crucial for a good fit though, since they don't expand like foamies/olives. I bought a bag of five pair 3 years ago and they're still going strong (mediums [PA758M] on my Ety4Ps; large [PA758L] on my UM2s) - another option to consider... Cheers.
 
Oct 22, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #12 of 19

centerfold

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Posts
273
Likes
10
The small comply's and medium shure foamies are roughly the same size, with the shure's being a tad bit wider.

I would take a picture of the two, but alas, I had forgotten my UM1's at home when I was packing to return to university.
frown.gif
 
Oct 25, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 19

martinmach

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Posts
33
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure Black Olives are sized slightly larger than normal foamies or softips. Unless you feel your ears are markedly larger or smaller than norm I'd start at medium.

I think Soft flex tips are the lowest maintenance of all; they conform well to the ear for a good seal, they do not permanently deform, and are fairly easy to keep clean. Sizing is crucial for a good fit though, since they don't expand like foamies/olives. I bought a bag of five pair 3 years ago and they're still going strong (mediums [PA758M] on my Ety4Ps; large [PA758L] on my UM2s) - another option to consider... Cheers.





what is the effect of these tips on frequency response?

which one should i be getting?
EA510S or EA410S ?

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EA510M-R...ref=pd_sim_e_3

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-EA410M-R...1XPY2D9K94WR1Y
 
Oct 25, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 19

martinmach

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Posts
33
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by centerfold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The small comply's and medium shure foamies are roughly the same size, with the shure's being a tad bit wider.

I would take a picture of the two, but alas, I had forgotten my UM1's at home when I was packing to return to university.
frown.gif



can anyone compare the medium shure foamies with UE super.fi 3 tips in terms of size.

will the shure foamies improve the lower end of frequncy response?

Thanks,
Martin
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top