Alternate source for Millet-Hybrid PCB
Jun 24, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #496 of 589
Any update on the discrete buffers?

Jun 24, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #497 of 589
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik S.
Is there a noticable difference by using Holco or Roederstein resistors instead of of Vishays?

I think Holcos in the signal path sound harsh and brittle which does not compliment this circuit well. Rumor is that some of them have steel caps, though I don't know if this is really true. If I were using a boutique metal film I would use a PRP over the Holco (though I am not familiar with how Roedersteins sound as I've not had the opportunity to use them.) Of course, you can also leave the output resistors out completly which should be the best option.

-d

Jun 24, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #498 of 589
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1

The Millet site on DIYforums said the prototype boards were ordered in May. I'm quite interested in these, as I imagine the Burr-Brown buffers are the weak point in the system.

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #500 of 589
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
What is the performance difference between 24V and ~28V? 24V would allow the use of the 25V Cerafines and Silmics that are pretty easy to get.

I hear no difference at all.

-Drew

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #501 of 589
Quote:

For the love of Pete, give us a moment to catch our breath will ya
biggrin.gif
. Drew and I are concurrently working on buffer options, Drew's being the far sexier of the 2. If I can get a handle on Eagle I may have something post in the next month or so. But progress is going to be slow as a lot of free time was devoted to this project and the missus is, how you say, not pleased
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
What is the performance difference between 24V and ~28V? 24V would allow the use of the 25V Cerafines and Silmics that are pretty easy to get.

In my opinion you do so at your own risk. The concerns of using caps that barely meet the voltage requirements of the power supply have been discussed already but the long and short of it is, if you're willing to risk an entire amps worth of caps that's up to you. Take it from someone who's blown one up the cleanup sucks.

Nate

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #502 of 589
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can listen to that (re: the missus isn't pleased) at home... :)

However, leaving that pic of the discrete buffer on the web page for everyone to scroll through every time we have to reference something is just waving the red flag at the bull... you have to anticipate a charge sometime. And, with the development status morsels (ya'll are listening to protos), well, what's a rabid DIY gonna think?

biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #503 of 589
Quote:

And, with the development status morsels (ya'll are listening to protos), well, what's a rabid DIY gonna think?
biggrin.gif

Well, to be perfectly blunt the proto blew up so we're back to revising the boards
600smile.gif
. If you want an exploding diamond buffer just let me know!

Nate

Jun 24, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #504 of 589
Well, thanks for the cold shower... between making a STEPS with no fuse, and exploding buffers, looks like my 4th of July is all set...
rolleyes.gif

Like Tom Petty said, the waiting (for parts - Wellbourn) is the hardest part.

600smile.gif

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #505 of 589
Quote:

Like Tom Petty said, the waiting (for parts - Wellbourn) is the hardest part.
600smile.gif

They weren't exactly "quick" w/ my delivery either so I've since found other sources for the parts they offer. Don't get me wrong, they aren't that bad, but they just don't have anything I can't get elsewhere anymore.

And sorry for the downer on the diamond buffer, Drew's working on other options as well, but both he and I have full time jobs that have to get done in order to pay the bills
smily_headphones1.gif

N

Jun 24, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #506 of 589
Not a downer at all... just thought I'd ask about it... and, started to bring up "March Madness", but, like by telepathy, the good doctor popped up.

Jun 24, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #510 of 589
I got all the parts already except for the tubes
biggrin.gif

Can someone tell me whats the most detailed tubes that works with millet?

TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back