Altec Lansing UHP306 Earphones?..
Jul 21, 2008 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ryan41488

Head-Fier
These are apparently a new model from this company, and I found them on CompUSA for 50 dollars. Does Altec make like high end good stuff, like Shure, UE's Super fi's, etc? Here's a link, and I'm really thinking about getting them. Please give me your thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif
..Also..Before anyone throws out any suggestions for other IEM's, I'm soley just wanting to know if Altec's products are durable (since the Earphones come with a mesh cord). The most important thing is that the sound is balenced, just like how CD's are, so one thing isn't killing the other, or one thing is less of another, etc.

Altec Lansing UHP306 Snug-Fit Diaphragm Earphones at CompUSA.com

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Those are rebranded UE metro.fi's I believe. So, no they are not as good as the Super.fi's but Altec rebrands the Super.fi's also.
Amazon.com: Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 2 Earphones Black with Silver Trim: Electronics

Amazon fulfillment has an open box(box damage) for $44.14 shipped if you really want them. Save a few bucks and the litz wire cables(fabric covered) make more noise than the UE version that is plain cord.

Again, these are lower end dynamic driver phones. Not high end and I'm sure others will recommend some other earphones over these.

Jul 21, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 12
Ahhh. Well, I'm fine with that =P. But is the sound quality good and bass not over powering?..When I called the service rep at Altec, he said they're plug and play, and didn't have a driver or power source O_O;...So..I'm assuming everything is balenced?..

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 12
I don't know about those ones you are asking about but I do have a set of iM616 canalphones and am finding them to be rather excellent, sound quality wise. I don't believe they will turn out to be better, or equal, to the Ety 6s, they seem to have a little tiny bit of a grainy sound but they are certainly excellent, especially considering their $50 price.

I'm using my blue Ety6 tri flanges with these because the OEMs, tri-flanges, are too large and the only other seal these come with are foams.

Altec and Harman Kardon are of the same company, Harman International and the HK branded version of these phones uses Etymotic technology. I have a set of those in RMA status, though, because when I received them, one phone was defective. I can't comment on their sound quality but these ALs are very sweet sounding. The more I listen with them...I'm using them at the moment...the more I'm being impressed with them.

I'd say you'd likely be safe getting those 306s.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 12
Ty for the help on that ^_^...And reading on the glossary it says grainy is being like "a slightly raw exposed sound"--I can't really picture what that would sound like, could you please perhaps provide me with a more detailed explination?...If I had a pair of Earphones that were grainy would they kind of have the sound as those Apple Earbuds (stock) or am I thinking of something else?..lol..I suck at this kind of stuff
tongue.gif
. And, my second option would have also been the JBud's by JLab, but no one seems to use them at all around here. They say they're Hi-Fi + Noise Reducing.

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan41488 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ty for the help on that ^_^...And reading on the glossary it says grainy is being like "a slightly raw exposed sound"--I can't really picture what that would sound like, could you please perhaps provide me with a more detailed explination?...If I had a pair of Earphones that were grainy would they kind of have the sound as those Apple Earbuds (stock) or am I thinking of something else?..lol..I suck at this kind of stuff
tongue.gif
. And, my second option would have also been the JBud's by JLab, but no one seems to use them at all around here. They say they're Hi-Fi + Noise Reducing.

Someone else might be able to clarify it better but the graininess I thought I was hearing isn't there now. And graininess to me is a much finer sounding...in common terms...like the poker card in the bike spokes kind of thing, only in these cases, the sound is much finer as though there are a thousand cards in the bike spokes. And, yes, I do believe "raw" would be a good description to use.

Actually, I just thought of a better analysis, sand paper. Grainy would probably translate better as coarse sand paper versus the finer stuff. However, with that said, I've had these ALs in for quite some time now and am certain they are better than the Ety6s. They sound so dynamic and lively as though they could handle any signal with aplomb. The Etys might do better with an amp but these are sweet right from the player. I don't detect the detail and definition of the UE3s but these are well controlled phones. The audio signal isn't muddy in the least and the bass is powerful but not overly so and very tight.

I'd recommend these to anyone looking for Ety6s, Klipsch Custom 1s, Shure 210s and quite a few others high up there. I'm very impressed with them.

I don't know what you plan to spend on your ALs but if it's anywhere near $50, get these instead.

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 12
They look like UE Metro.Fi 2 - terrible sound for me, mids almost non-existent. Maybe I had broken pair, or something ... but they sounded really bad.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would these be better than my Sony EX71s? I'm looking for a lot more prominence in the mids.

you might take head-direct RE2 into consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back