Altec Lansing im716 vs Shure E4C
Dec 22, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 8
they're very different. The im716s have better highs and resolution but have weak bass impact and recessed mids.

The e4cs have a great mids but rolled off highs.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't think e4c rolled off highs.
confused_face.gif

but e3c did rolled off highs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they're very different. The im716s have better highs and resolution but have weak bass impact and recessed mids.

The e4cs have a great mids but rolled off highs.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 8
I've had both, NDS pretty much summed it up. The im716s resolve finer detail, especially in the treble, but are very light on bass. The upper range of the spectrum is very nicely presented but if you are a bass lover look elsewhere. The Shure's are fairly nuetral across the board but sound a bit rolled off in the highs to me as well - not much treble detail. Still they are pleasant sounding. They're both different, not sure which I prefer - in the end neither as I sold them both. I'm actually using JVC Marshmallows, which are a bit boomy in the bass and have a fairly unrefined in the treble - but I seem to enjoy them more overall, especially for the price. Still hunting for that perfect IEM....

Good luck.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 8
I don't have the E4C, but I do have the IM716. IMHO there is a huge difference in the IM716 with & without an amp. Without an amp they are fairly mundane - light on bass and just sort of muddy - lacking dynamics (sorry - I'm not a pro reviewer). However, with an amp (in my case the low-end Xenos), the bass picks up and the whole range seems to be much more alive. Straight out of the ipod I was very disappointed in the IM716, but with the amp I really like them. YMMV.

Dec 22, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 8
billybob_jcv;5178163 said:
I don't have the E4C, but I do have the IM716....IMHO there is a huge difference in the IM716 with & without an amp/QUOTE]

Excellent point that I forgot to mention - no question that the IM716 sounds better with an amp. In fact I would say that if you didn't have an amp you might consider looking elsewhere (at least that's my experience straight out of my 5.5G IPOD). I still think, even with a good amp that they're lean on the bottom end.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back