Altec Lansing im716 finally available
Nov 24, 2005 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Jmmmmm

Headphoneus Supremus
These ety clones were announced a while ago, but they are finally for sale. I thought I saw a review somewhere that wasn't so positive, but I don't remember where it was.
Anyway, there are some good prices on pricegrabber
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...0&search=im716

So who wants to try them out first?

Nov 24, 2005 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 22
What Ety's are they based on?
etysmile.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 22
Don't like a cheap (and not needed) volume control in the signal path.

Nov 24, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 22
Don't like a cheap (and not needed) volume control in the signal path.

I believe the IM616 are the same as the IM716, minus the volume control. BTW, I think it's not only a volume control, but also has bass boost control too. They look better than the Etys IMHO. Curious what they sound like...

A.

Nov 24, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
What Ety's are they based on?

the drivers look like that of the ER4's. i've been looking to upgrade, hopefully these will be an E4 killer
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 22
According to the press release, the 716's are 90% the SQ of the ER4 and the 616 are 84% the SQ of the ER6.

Isn't the ER6i around 90% of the ER6 yet way cheaper. Other than nicer looks they aren't that appealing until the price comes down.

Nov 24, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71
According to the press release, the 716's are 90% the SQ of the ER4 and the 616 are 84% the SQ of the ER6.

Isn't the ER6i around 90% of the ER6 yet way cheaper. Other than nicer looks they aren't that appealing until the price comes down.

Are you sure you aren't mistaking those percentages with the "accuracy score"? Those 90% are just the same rating as the original ER-4s....

Anyways, I wonder whether there is actually a difference at all - assuming the volume control & bass boost switch won't alter the sound signature. AFAIK these are just the ER-4s and ER-6s respectively in a new casing, together with a volume and bass control option.

Marcus

Nov 25, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusH
...AFAIK these are just the ER-4s and ER-6s respectively in a new casing, together with a volume and bass control option.

Yep.
The 616's are er6i's and the 716's are er4's, each with a new case, and the 716's have a bass boost switch (and a volume knob, I think).

Nov 26, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Yep.
The 616's are er6i's and the 716's are er4's, each with a new case, and the 716's have a bass boost switch (and a volume knob, I think).

Where did you hear that from? Cuz in etymotics website, the er4s goes up to 92% accuracy instead of the 90% accuracy stated in the 716 flyers. I wouldn't say its inferior product cuz the bass boost if implement well can be rather useful in noisy environments. It is most likely a similar but modified version like the case of er6 and er6i.

I think the style is much better looking though.
So, who's gonna try
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 26, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueice
Where did you hear that from? Cuz in etymotics website, the er4s goes up to 92% accuracy instead of the 90% accuracy stated in the 716 flyers. I wouldn't say its inferior product cuz the bass boost if implement well can be rather useful in noisy environments. It is most likely a similar but modified version like the case of er6 and er6i.

I think the style is much better looking though.
So, who's gonna try
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...new-ipod-gear/

The addition of the volume switch and bass boost probably makes them deviate a little more from the true signal compared to the er4's. I'm not sure if it's unwanted distortion because of the extra crap in the signal pathway, or just that the extra bass is the extra deviation.

I can't find anywhere that says which er4 the 716's are based on. However, I think the biggest +'s are the bass boost and (hopefully) better ergonomics. I hated the way the er4's fit, so I'm sure anything will be an improvement. However, this looks like a step in the wrong direction for the er6i's, which I think have better ergonomics and cost half the price of these im617's.

Nov 27, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 22
Let see who is the first one to buy this and give us a mini comparison with the Ety ER-4 series. If AT improves some of the short comings of ER-4, it will be a great IEM compares to Shure E4. What I like about the E4 is, it is well balance but not enough detail and separation.

-Kenneth

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienPyro
The ilounge holiday buying guide, if you download it, will tell you that the 716 is indeed based on the er4p.

Thanks Alien. Let's hope there are some good improvements over the Ety ER-4P with this new IEM. Specially the vocal sound more full and warm instead of a bit thin.

-Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back