ALSA/Pulseaudio : setting default audio sink on *nix systems
Feb 14, 2017 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

I posted on this topic a while back, but I'm still seeting misinformation in various google hits, so I decided that the best approach was an example. Those of us with dongle DACs like the Dragonfly Black will know how easy it is to bump the DAC and lose your connection to whatever source you were enjoying, so without further ado:

artie@Aspire-ES1-411:~$ ps auxww | grep pulse
artie     2549  0.0  0.5 440544  9756 ?        S<l  09:32   0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=syslog
artie     3089  0.0  0.1  17008  2316 pts/3    S+   09:34   0:00 grep --color=auto pulse

artie@Aspire-ES1-411:~$ pacmd list sinks | grep -i audioquest | grep device_id
    argument: <device_id="1" name="usb-AudioQuest_AudioQuest_DragonFly_Black_v1.5_AQDFBL0100102730-01-v15" card_name="alsa_card.usb-AudioQuest_AudioQuest_DragonFly_Black_v1.5_AQDFBL0100102730-01-v15" namereg_fail=false tsched=yes fixed_latency_range=no ignore_dB=no deferred_volume=yes use_ucm=yes card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1">

artie@Aspire-ES1-411:~$ pacmd set-default-sink 1
Welcome to PulseAudio! Use "help" for usage information.
>>> >>>
artie@Aspire-ES1-411:~$

(Obviously, if your DAC doesnt identify itself as well as the DFB does, you'll need to dig through the 'list sinks' output, but for AQ owners its a dream)

That's it - no voodoo with alsaplay or anything else - just check that pulseaudio is running and you're away. I realise that some will be running jack or another configuration - if you're that far down the rabbit hole, I assume you know a lot more about the Unix sound architecture than I do. For my purposes, 3 commands (that I could easily script if I were sufficiiently motivated) beats the hell out of some of the bizarre advice being given out on various Linux-specific forums.

Happy trails,

estreeter

PS This is offered in the spirit of passing on something of (perceived) value to the head-fi community - if you're a guru, feel free to ignore everything after 'Hi All'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back