Alright, who can bring it?
Mar 16, 2003 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

CRESCENDOPOWER

Headphoneus Supremus
The last couple of days I think I have went through every Celine Dion CD I own, except her newest one, and I think I have heard some of the absolute best vocals of any artist from the 90's, and maybe even throughout music history in general. My question to you is, who can bring it? I am talking about vocals with life, passion, and conviction, something that brings goose bumps to your skin. Lets hear ‘em!

Mar 16, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
I am talking about vocals with life, passion, and conviction, something that brings goose bumps to your skin.

It's quite a stretch from Celine Dion (imo a good thing, but sorry, no jokes) and although he doesn't have her vocal talent, I'd recommend you listen to "While We Were Hunting Rabbits" by Matthew Good (it's an 8 minute song; the last four minutes are brilliant), and also "Apparitions" and "The Rat Who Would Be King" by Matthew Good Band.

Talk about passion, conviction.

Happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2003 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 34
I could make a long list here but I stick with my favorite Aretha Franklin.You don't have to like R&B or Gospel music to love Aretha.

Mar 16, 2003 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 34
Any diva that performed on Divas Live.

Sade is pretty good too, but I don't know if she's goosebumps good.

"My All" by Mariah is a great song.

I like the Chrysler commercials with Celine in them, she's sexy. I don't care for Chrysler though.

Mar 16, 2003 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 34
It's hard to beat Mariah Carey back when she was in her prime Diva years. She really put that awesome vocal range of hers to good use back then. Nowdays of course she's gone completely downhill, but her older albums are worth a listen.

Mar 16, 2003 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 34
I'm going to have to go with Aretha Franklin. Celine admittedly does have an incredible voice, I just don't like her choice of music.

As far as the males go, Jeff Buckley, Jeff Buckley, Jeff Buckley. Passion, conviction, life, beauty, goosebumps, a huuuuge range, the whole package. If you're not familiar with him, I highly recommend picking up Grace (his only studio album) - it's outstanding. One can only imagine what he could've done had his life not been cut so short.

Mar 16, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 34
Well Aretha of course, but add to my list favorite singers:
k.d. Lang (My most favorite Female singer)
Jeff Buckley
Tori Amos
Freddy Mercury (Queen)
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
Patricia Barber

All of these people can sing with a pure tone and avoid the excessive vibrato and vocal noodling that "Popular" singers like Celine, Mariah, Whitney and everybody on American Idol use. Personally I can't stand Celine and Mariah, but Whitney's first album was good.

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 34
- Tori Amos
- Charlotte Church
- Arethra Franklin
- Diana Ross

Probably think of some more in a bit.

Mar 16, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 34
Here's my list:

Aretha, of course
Patti Labelle (she really brings it)
Chaka Khan
Mary J. Blige

Dianne Reeves
Roberta Flack
Abbey Lincoln
Randy Crawford
Nancy Wilson
Natalie Cole
Dionne Warwick (a little lite on passion perhaps)

India Arie
Tracy Chapman(okay not much range, but I like her)

Gladys Knight
Phyllis Hyman (a jewel)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back