Alright, seriously now... (an E500 issue)
Jun 27, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see what you're trying to say, and I think you're on crack
wink.gif
(i tease b/c i love). I do understand your point of view but I think you're making an awful lot of assumptions based upon select information framed in a way to reflect your worst nightmare.

Let me give you an example. Now, I'm no expert on hi-fi, but I do actually own a pair of E530s, and I've had them for a little over a month. And I can tell you that the cable appears toughened, in that the part that wraps around my ear has molded itself in the shape of a curve, to the point that it actually fits the contour of my ear and consequently stays in place better. It's possible that this shaping was an intended effect, something that Shure researched and intended. Maybe, right? (Of course, if my wire breaks down the line, I'll be singing a different tune!) Really, I have to wonder how common this problem is, as others have pointed out, you mainly only hear from complaints.

You're also working yourself up over something that probably won't happen over a pair of IEMs that you're convinced are perfect for you but that you've yet to try. Do you see where I'm going with this? You can fantasize and analyze for the rest of your life looking for what you think you want, and never actually get it, or end up getting it and realizing it's not what you wanted after all. AKA there's a whole lot of energy going into conjecture here without any actual experience. You've (clearly) done your research, you made your best choice, your 530s are on the way, and soon you'll have your own experience with them, which is MUCH more valuable than anything I can tell you or anything you can fantasize. Heck, forget the wire, you may want to return them based on sound. Try to relax, at least until you get them, and maybe revive this thread in the future IF your wire breaks! Until then, we're just mentally masturbating here.
580smile.gif

I wish the wire hardening and forming to a shape was intended, but sadly it wasn't. I talked to a Shure representative today and he said that the reason they went with the plastic-like material that they did instead of a more rubbery material was to make sure that people didn't get allergic reactions from it (
blink.gif
I know, I was kind of like "What?" myself, but I just let it go). He said that they did do research and they are definitely aware of the problem, but only the oil from certain people will make the wire stiffen up, and so based on the ratio of the number of E500's/SE530's sold to how many they've gotten back due to this issue, they decided not to do anything about it.

He did say, however, that they have seen the same problem with just about every one of their other earphones. (As far as having the same frequency of failure I didn't ask, but I can't image it being even close to that of the E500.) Anyway, he did say that I should call his direct line back in a couple weeks after I have gotten my E500's to see what I think. I'm pretty sure they won't have broken by then, but I'll at least have something to say.

By the way, mentally masturbating? XD Alright...

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenriques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, moseboy, care to share that direct line?
wink.gif

Check your PM.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhenriques /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok... want me to post another picture???

No, I want you to post 50 pictures, that way we can all be alerted to the truly massive scale of this epidemic.

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by moseboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish the wire hardening and forming to a shape was intended, but sadly it wasn't. I talked to a Shure representative today and he said that the reason they went with the plastic-like material that they did instead of a more rubbery material was to make sure that people didn't get allergic reactions from it (
blink.gif
I know, I was kind of like "What?" myself, but I just let it go). He said that they did do research and they are definitely aware of the problem, but only the oil from certain people will make the wire stiffen up, and so based on the ratio of the number of E500's/SE530's sold to how many they've gotten back due to this issue, they decided not to do anything about it.

Wow, very interesting. I wonder if it has to do with a type of oil produced by certain people, or simply the quantity of skin oil, which varies from person to person. Geez, I may need to start scrubbing behind the ears...

Jun 27, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #37 of 64
Vinyl, the major component of all these cable jackets, absorbs oil. The oil reacts with the plastic to make it stiffen. The cable on my old Sony headphones, in use for 15 years, is much stiffer than it used to be.

If you want to solve this problem, wrap the cable with something, such as the slit outer jacket of another piece of cable. Don't use electrical tape because this will get very gooey (the reaction of electrical tape's adhesive to body oil is even worse than vinyl's) and make a mess of your ears. You could use cloth sleeving, or the loom material used for routing wires. Basically, anything to keep oil off the cable as you handle it, and as it lies on your ears.

I've had my E500s for about six months. I use them regularly, and the cables have taken a curve to fit my ears. I don't bend them more than that; they just lie on my desk until I need them again. No trouble so far.

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

blink.gif

He did say, however, that they have seen the same problem with just about every one of their other earphones. (As far as having the same frequency of failure I didn't ask, but I can't image it being even close to that of the E500.) Anyway, he did say that I should call his direct line back in a couple weeks after I have gotten my E500's to see what I think. I'm pretty sure they won't have broken by then, but I'll at least have something to say.

By the way, mentally masturbating? XD Alright...

This is what I was thinking all along. All the Shure phones I've owned have the same material for cables. And oil from certain people stiffening the cable makes complete sense. But not switching the cable doesn't, at all. This is a move based on money, plain and simple. Seems to me they are saying a cheaper cable, that happens to have problems with a small percent of the population, is better than going with a durable, albeit more expensive cable.

Shame on them if that is the case...

Ply

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #39 of 64
So I got my E500 today.... One word: "finally." These are exactly what I've been looking for as far as sound. I absolutely love them. Honestly, I could rave about them all day, but I'll spare you. They just sound amazing to my ears.

What surprised me was how light the cable coming right off of each earphone is. Obviously this isn't good as far as durability, but as far as comfort is concerned.. I was really quite shocked, and in a good way. Finally, I can turn on my music, and the earphones and the cables just melt away (and isn't that how it's supposed to be?). I am very impressed.... If the cable lasts, I am going to be happy for a long, long time.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #40 of 64
Quote:

Until then, we're just mentally masturbating here.
580smile.gif

Ok I'm not gonna lie, I'm soo going to this quote soon. (Excuse my immatureness hehehehe)
icon10.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigizzy75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I'm not gonna lie, I'm soo going to this quote soon. (Excuse my immatureness hehehehe)
icon10.gif

Dang. You got my hopes up that someone actually responded to what I said.
280smile.gif
Just kidding...

P.S. For anyone who cares, I am currently using Shure's new olive foam tips that I kept after I returned my UM2's, because the E500 didn't come with them.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

So I got my E500 today.... One word: "finally." These are exactly what I've been looking for as far as sound. I absolutely love them. Honestly, I could rave about them all day, but I'll spare you. They just sound amazing to my ears.

What surprised me was how light the cable coming right off of each earphone is. Obviously this isn't good as far as durability, but as far as comfort is concerned.. I was really quite shocked, and in a good way. Finally, I can turn on my music, and the earphones and the cables just melt away (and isn't that how it's supposed to be?). I am very impressed.... If the cable lasts, I am going to be happy for a long, long time.

Congratulation, man! I'm happy for you. About that cable, I wasn't kidding about scrubbing behind the ears. It's amazing how much less oily my ears are after a little soap in the shower. Though I'm not sure how long this will last before they return to their naturally pan-fry-ready state, let alone if it will make a difference, but I can think of worse things than being clean for no reason.

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #43 of 64
My E2c's are dying with the exact problem pictured above.

I know its from oil from my skin causing it. On the other hand a pair of Sony IEMs have lasted a hell of a lot longer and still in pristine condition. I hear more complaints of those wires melting and breaking than I do Shure.

I think on my E4's I'll start using the rubber ear sleeve for the wire and tape it in so it doesn't come out as easily. That should pretty much render the oil problem fixed.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #44 of 64
hey, moseboy. Care to share that direct line? I just got that same problem today with my shure e500. The cable above my right ear just cracked/frayed today.. I agree with you though. The sound is great. The cable isn't, really.

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Congratulation, man! I'm happy for you. About that cable, I wasn't kidding about scrubbing behind the ears. It's amazing how much less oily my ears are after a little soap in the shower. Though I'm not sure how long this will last before they return to their naturally pan-fry-ready state, let alone if it will make a difference, but I can think of worse things than being clean for no reason.

Hey, thanks man. I appreciate it. I'm so pleased with just about everything about them: the perfect sound and fit (with the new Shure foam tips) for my ears. Totally worth it.

About scrubbing behind the ears.. this morning, I realized that I seem to do that in the shower without even thinking about it. And even after work today, I felt behind my ears and there wasn't hardly any oil. Along with that, as it is, the cable practically glides across the top of my ear, so my cable my end up lasting for quite a long time. And if not: 2 year warranty.

I think I'm all set.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back