Alright kiddies. I need a recommendation. With some stipulations though.
Jan 30, 2012 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dspang

100+ Head-Fier
I need a recommendation on a new headphone.  I know.....you're thrilled.  Here goes.

1. Budget:  $100-150
  3. Genres of music:  I'll be listening to Classical, Metal, Rock, Alternative, Soundtracks
  5. No M50 recommendations because I have them already for another setup.  I already have the Grado sr60's too along with the Ultrasone Hfi-780.
  7. These headphones will be Unamped.
  9. The source will be a Panasonic portable cd player. 
  11. Now I'm not looking for flagship or the end all be all of resolving and neutrality. 
  13. I just need a headphone that can do Classical and metal decently.  With some bit of a soundstage.
  15. Oh and I would prefer closed too.

Thanks guys.

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 8
If you're not travelling I think the Alessandro MS1i or the Audio Technica Ad700 are good choices. I know you want a closed pair, but AD700 or the MS1i will be fantastic for classical allowing your SR60 to be used for heavier stuff.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 8
No not traveling at all.  Its going towards a setup near my bed.  I've had the Ad700's and hated them.  Ms1 might be a worthy shot but won't they still be somewhat close to sounding like Grado's?  Would anyone recommend that Sennheiser Hd518 or 558 possibly.  I could stretch my budget a little. 

Do the Sennheiser hd 518 and 558 have a decent genre bandwith?

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 8
SRH840 maybe? Closed + metal + classical is not easy to work with. You would definately be better off getting more than one pair of headphones, but if you need all that in one... you're going to need to make some sacrifices.

The HFI-780 doesn't satisfy for metal?

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 8
You are right.  I may be asking much since I have the Grados and the Ultrasones already.  I'll append my original specs then.  Looking for something for mainly classical that's closed with a halfway decent soundstage.  I'm keeping my expectations grounded on that front but I would like to have a bit bigger soundstage than what the M50's offer. 

How are the Shure's on that front?  How are they overall?  I will not be amping at all though.  I really don't want to walk down that avenue.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 8
HD558/598 are definitely great with classical. I would say they are alright with metal, although you could probably do better. They do have great genre bandwidth and can play most anything well enough. If your current phones don't satisfy you with metal though, I don't know what else to recommend that can also do classical. I don't think there are many phones outside the high end Stax that can excel with almost any genre :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Oh I'm quite pleased with what I have for metal.  I just wanted to see if I could have it all in one.  However I understand fully now that I'm going to have to go with separate headphones for my two main genres.  Classical is a recent addiction of mine.  Just getting into it.  I think I might try the Sennheisers then.

Thank you for all of your help guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back