Alright. I'm ready to jump in.
Nov 11, 2012 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mknlb50

New Head-Fier
Sup head-fiers.

After lurking here quite a bit, I decided to bite the bullet on HD650 and Schiit Asgard. My setup is very basic at the moment: X-Fi Titanium HD + Bose QC15.

I will be using foobar(ASIO) -> the RCA output of Titanium HD -> Schiit Asgard -> HD650

Is there anything I should know about before jumping in?
Any suggestions are welcomed, thanks!

Nov 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to the crew, mkn :)
Anything you should know? Well, since this is your first truly hi-fi setup, so you really want to spend $700 on great sound right out of the gate? I mean, you'll love it, trust me, but it might not seem like it was worth $700 at first. If you can audition the Sennheisers first, I suggest you do that. Also make sure you purchase from a place you can return them to should you not like them.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your preferred genres of music? That's a huge help in suggesting hardware.
Anyway, if I had your money, I would jump the gun, but I already have had a small taste of hi-fi sound. It's a fantastic hobby, and you'll enjoy it a lot, I just don't want you to drop a ton of money to not find it worthwhile for the first few weeks.
Cheers!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Welcome to the crew, mkn
smily_headphones1.gif

Anything you should know? Well, since this is your first truly hi-fi setup, so you really want to spend $700 on great sound right out of the gate? I mean, you'll love it, trust me, but it might not seem like it was worth $700 at first. If you can audition the Sennheisers first, I suggest you do that. Also make sure you purchase from a place you can return them to should you not like them.
If you don't mind me asking, what are your preferred genres of music? That's a huge help in suggesting hardware.
Anyway, if I had your money, I would jump the gun, but I already have had a small taste of hi-fi sound. It's a fantastic hobby, and you'll enjoy it a lot, I just don't want you to drop a ton of money to not find it worthwhile for the first few weeks.
Cheers!
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

I really want to be blown away. I'm sick and tired of muddy sounding headphones like my QC15 (great NC though for students like myself!). Also, all of the headphones I've tested at Bestbuy were just Grade A Garbage! 

I listen to a wide range of music from Classical to Acoustics to Alternative to Rock to Jazz to R&B to HipHop, so on and so forth. I've read that an HD598 would fit my bill since it's pretty much known as the all-purpose headphones, but it doesn't have that refined bass like HD650 does which I really do crave for.

Before I considered the Sennheisers, I was planning on buying DT880/600 or DT990/600. However, I found out that they would sound too bright and at times, harsh, to the ears (DT990). 

I'll be sure to use Amazon just in case HD650's sound signature doesn't work out for me but at the same time I want to make sure I drive this headphone close to its fullest potential with a capable amp such as Schiit Asgard. 

I am planning on using this setup for a very long time and upgrade as I go. 
atsmile.gif

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #5 of 6
I have the asgard and dt880/600. They can be had for about half of the 650's cost... And I think they sound great, but I don't think you will be upset with the sennheiser's either

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Mmm i think that is a good choice... Asgard very well received amp... HD650 very enjoyable headphones. You will have a good starting point without need for obvious upgrades for a very long time. Also no messing around with akg701 etc so you won't have any issues trying to actually enjoy the music.

Should be money well spent IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back