Alright, bear with me
Aug 24, 2007 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Blockman86

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure there are plenty of threads covering parts of my questions, so if you'd rather just link me to them, feel free
biggrin.gif

I'm purchasing an Esoteric D500 DAC that does not have USB input. I figure I'll be using optical to connect it to my soundcard. I figure I'm not looking/reading previous threads properly, or I'm just lazy, but does the quality of the soundcard matter if I'm running it to a DAC? At the moment I've got a cheap SB Audigy 1 that I use with a 5.1 surround system for my pc. I'll be getting bookshelf speakers soon enough, so 5.1 support isn't required. The Chaintech (sp?) seems appealing because it's cheap and everyone seems quite satisfied with it. Are there advantages to upgrading to more expensive cards if I'll only be listening to music/ watching movies?

I currently use iTunes to listen to my music, but it seems like I should be using Foobar2k and ASIO4ALL, apps I'm not quite familiar with. Would getting a new sound card and the DAC be useless if I continue to use iTunes to play my music?

Thanks for any help (answers or links
evil_smiley.gif
)

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 14
Using optical out bypasses the soundcard's DAC.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 14
ASIO/KS and foobar2000 is your best bet. You'll need to use the SRC or SSRC plugin to resample to 48khz, or else your Audigy will hack up the resample job.

Which leads to your question, yes the sound card and software makes a difference. You want a sound card capable of passing the native PCM stream without TOUCHING it in any way, shape, or form. You also need software that can bypass all the Windows processing (eg a KS or ASIO plugin). iTunes doesn't stand a chance of bit-perfect in Windows though. Unless you use the multi-plugin (or whatever it's called) and use Foobar2000 for playback. You'd have to rollback iTunes to an earlier version to accomplish this.

But even if you don't upgrade to a bit-perfect capable card, SRC or SSRC resample to 48khz in foobar2000 to a good DAC will sound great.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 14
Like I said, I'm not familiar with any of this. SRC; SSRC? Can I have Foobar running for playback and just use itunes to sync with my ipod?

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 14
It's pretty easy to remember, since S/PDIF is digital (also called, digital out) it does not need to go through the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).
Every other crap not happening in the DAC will still be in the stream.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blockman86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said, I'm not familiar with any of this. SRC; SSRC? Can I have Foobar running for playback and just use itunes to sync with my ipod?

SRC and SSRC are plugins that resample the 44.1khz audio to 48khz audio far better than your Audigy does. The Audigy requires everything to be 48khz, so if it isn't 48khz, it will send it to the internal resampler. You would be better off using a much nicer software resample plugin over the very mediocre Audigy resampler.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's pretty easy to remember, since S/PDIF is digital (also called, digital out) it does not need to go through the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter).
Every other crap not happening in the DAC will still be in the stream.

It isn't so simple, as there is plenty of digital processing going on before it ever hits the analogue stage.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SRC and SSRC are plugins that resample the 44.1khz audio to 48khz audio far better than your Audigy does. The Audigy requires everything to be 48khz, so if it isn't 48khz, it will send it to the internal resampler. You would be better off using a much nicer software resample plugin over the very mediocre Audigy resampler.

So I would require these plugins if I stick to the audigy. If I switch it to the chaintech av-710, do I still need those plugins? Sorry if I'm being obtuse about this.
redface.gif

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blockman86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I would require these plugins if I stick to the audigy. If I switch it to the chaintech av-710, do I still need those plugins? Sorry if I'm being obtuse about this.
redface.gif

I almost certain the AV710 is capable of bit-perfect, though I don't know specifics about the card.

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #11 of 14
Chipset
* New Multi-channel sound CHIP
* VIA ENVY 24PT

General Features
* PCI 2.2 I/F with bus mastering and burst modes
* 24-bit resolution audio format support
* Sampling rates up to 192KHz
* Supports Mic In / Line In / 4 Line outs & Digital Optical output
* 2 separate CD audio stereo inputs
* ACPI and PCI PMI support
* Windows WDM drivers
* Dimension:120mm x 106mm

24-bit is bit-perfect?

Aug 24, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #13 of 14
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick and easy answers, I'll be posting impressions of the DAC in a few weeks hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back