Alps pot fried when shunting!! - MG Head DT
Nov 19, 2002 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

briantf27

100+ Head-Fier
So I picked up a couple Caddock 47k to shunt the Alps pot in my MG Head DT, and low and behold I appear to have fried the left channel!

The volume was uneven after the mod so I removed the resistors and took these measurements with the Fluke:

Left Channel:
input to wiper : OL
input to gnd : 100k

Damn!!! Is it really this easy to fry a pot with a soldering iron?? Seems very strange to me.

Anyhow... Anyone got any pot suggestions for me now?

Brian.

Nov 20, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 12
Those Alps Blue Velvet pots are still on sale on eBay, the ones that may or may not be fake but are of high quality, according to those who've tested them..I've ordered a couple for a META42 I'll be putting together. In addition, Bottlehead is selling a stepped attenuator kit (12 steps) for US$40, and Parts Connexion has Alps Black Beauty stepped attenuators for US$50.

- Wasif

Nov 20, 2002 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
Those Alps Blue Velvet pots are still on sale on eBay, the ones that may or may not be fake but are of high quality, according to those who've tested them..- Wasif

These?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=802196575

Nov 20, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Whoops. Cut and paste error on my part!

My problem is the size constraints inside the MG Head DT. The current pot has a height of about 22mm and there is barely any room to spare. These measure 1.25" square according to the auction which converts to 31.75mm by my calculations...

frown.gif

Brian.

Nov 20, 2002 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 12
I believe those are the same pots the Wasif posted about. I cannot say whether or not they are counterfeits (although I suspect they are). Tangent did some tests on one that I gave him and the results were so-so. I can say that they are nowhere near the quality of the Alps Blue Velvets that I have been purchasing from Angela Instruments.

However, I do like them more than some of crap pots that you get from RS.

Nov 20, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm going to order an Alps from Angela.com I guess. It's a tad larger but I think there is room to spare in the MG Head. Thanks for the leads.

FWIW, anyone have experience comparing the Blue Velvet to the TKD ? The TKD is about $60 from Percy and about the same size as the Alps.

Just curious.

Thanks!

Brian.

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 12
Ordered the Alps Blue Velvet from Angela Instruments. Incidentally after completely desoldering the stock MG Head DT pot, I noticed a stamp 100KAX2 which is the same stamp I see in the picture of the Blue Velvet on the angela.com site. The stock pot, however is not in a blue plastic casing...

Thanks for the input to this thread. This time I'll be more careful about heating up the pot contacts...

Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back