Alps Black Beauty
Dec 15, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

If its anything like the Alps Blue ('80s vintage) in my preamp, it isn't actually a stepped attenuator (as far as I can tell)... it just has click stops built in.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for, just a plain pot with click stops.
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #34 of 51
I just picked one up a few as well. Should be interesting to compare them to the RK27.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
That _couldnt_ be good for balance :S

Rob.

Oh no? Why not. If the balance is out then you can always remove the middle gear and adjust the L/R balance. I used a similar system except with 2 gears since one pot was mounted in reverse. Each pot controlled either +ve or -ve and I never had any balance problems.

I only dumped this because the motor on one pot was not strong enough to drive both pot properly and I like my remotes.

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #36 of 51
Got a few of these in yesterday evening. It's interesting to compare the feel of the shafts between the rk27 and the rk40; the rk40 has far more resistance, though that could be a result of sitting in the jbl warehouse for over ten years. Instead of lubricating I think I'm just going to use larger knobs on these to generate more torque. They seem like they would be in the sweet spot for this; the rk27 in my dynalo has a larger knob but feels like it has too little damping.

Reading over this post in preview I've noticed a creepy subtext, here and throughout the thread- I hope getting these pots isn't compensating for some other kind of inadequacy. Just hope no one you know gets a stepped attenuator...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 18, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bg4533
Testing tracking or what? If I get bored maybe I will test a bit. I have 3 of them here now. I might have to order some more if they perform well. Even if they perform the same as the Blue Velvet they are cheaper...

I would be interested in even a simple subjective opinion. Can you hear a difference in sound quality?

Dec 18, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icy006
I would be interested in even a simple subjective opinion. Can you hear a difference in sound quality?

I haven't had the time to touch anything DIY related in a while. I'll be sure to post back when I get a chance to try these out.

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #39 of 51
Has anyone tried these yet? I just got the four that I ordered today, but it will be a bit until I can put them to use.

Any opinions?

Thanks
-John

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #41 of 51
The stepped version has a plastic gear to enable the 'click stops'. It is still a continuous plastic element pot, not a "stepped attenuator" in the true sense.

That is to say that it is not a series or ladder attenuator, but is a potentiometer that has click-stops.

It is a very nice pot, with a nicer feel than the Alps Blue (albeit they are freaking huge). I just wanted to clarify that you are not buying a stepped attenuator when you get a black beauty that clicks. You are getting a volume pot that clicks like an attenuator.

Helluva good price, I have to say. I have a click-stop one I bought a couple years ago, it was more like $30. But even at that price, it was a fair deal... it's a great volume pot with outstanding channel matching. I have not tried these from JBL, personally, but the do look the same. If they are, that's a smokin' deal.

Jan 4, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
Has anyone tried these yet? I just got the four that I ordered today, but it will be a bit until I can put them to use.

Any opinions?

Thanks
-John

I've got a few sitting around as well, but haven't had time to put them to use. I have a couple of projects coming up in the next month or so that will hopefully let me try 'em out.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #43 of 51
Anyone know how long it typically takes for JBL to ship these out? I placed an order about 4 weeks ago and haven't seen a thing yet.

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #45 of 51
I got mine in about a week also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back