Alps Black Beauty
Dec 4, 2005 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
I stumbled onto this pot online, but there seems to be very little info on it. I know it is better than the Blue Velvet, but thats about it. Some sources I have seen have said that this is a stepped attenuator, is this true? It seems far too small to be a stepped attenuator. Also, does anyone know any source that still has a supply of these?

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 51
Its not a stepped attenuator, and you can get them from Michael Percy Audio. Beyond that, I dont know too much about them, except they are kinda on the huge side.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 51
There's a german ebay-seller (familygate) which sell these as well. Search his name or RK40 and you should get it
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 51
ALPS doesn't make the RK40 (Black Beauty) pots anymore. They discontinued them a couple of years ago due to lack of demand. They are superior to the RK27 series so far as ruggedness and build quality. For $30 it's not a bad deal since that guy has various resistance values.

JBL Pro has an overstock of dual 50K log taper RK40's for $10.14

Part # 15-0396

http://www.jblpro.com/Tent_Sale/index.htm

Ordering online with them is a little funny, but they do come through. Last time I ordered 6 of them and received 7. The price includes shipping in the US. Be sure to confirm your order after you do it online. They take up to a week to dispatch, but you can't beat the price.

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by afxdave
ALPS doesn't make the RK40 (Black Beauty) pots anymore. They discontinued them a couple of years ago due to lack of demand. They are superior to the RK27 series so far as ruggedness and build quality. For $30 it's not a bad deal since that guy has various resistance values.

JBL Pro has an overstock of dual 50K log taper RK40's for $10.14

Part # 15-0396

http://www.jblpro.com/Tent_Sale/index.htm

Ordering online with them is a little funny, but they do come through. Last time I ordered 6 of them and received 7. The price includes shipping in the US. Be sure to confirm your order after you do it online. They take up to a week to dispatch, but you can't beat the price.

Are you positive this is really an Alps Black beauty? It description doesn't list a model number. This is an awesome deal if so.

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 51
Alps no longer make their "famed" Black Beauty (aka RK40312 Series) conductive plastic pots at all. The "Black Beauty" pot was so called due to its case color and dimensions - differentiating it from their other, smaller, "Blue Velvet" potentiometer series. The "Black Beauty" is larger than the Blue Velvet, about 1 1/2 times the size of the blue in length, height and depth.
However, Alps also used this same case style to build a special-order "series attenuator" as well, primarily for the pro-audio market. Substantially superior sonically to the Blue Velvet, this series attenuator has 21-steps and much better channel-to-channel tracking. I use one in my Gilmore amp. Hard to find but a very good pot.

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by afxdave
If I'm wrong I will eat a bug. I've got a box full of these things here from JBL and am 1000% about them being "it." JBL used them in the UREI 1620 music mixer volume controls from 1982 through 1994.

I am in for a few then. Be prepared to eat that bug if you are wrong though. I won't let you get off easy on the choice of bug either
wink.gif

Thanks for the notice about the pots too.

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos
Do they have the same size and pinout as the rk 27 blue veltet?

No, they certainly have different pin dimensions and they are bigger and heavier.

You have to use them apart from a pcb that is layed out for the rk 27 blue velvet! They simply do not fit in the same positions!

When you want thechnical specs look for it on Ebay.de and search for ALPS RK40312. Look for the thechnical information by scrolling down.

I do not know if they in reality sounds better than the RK 27 series, they certainly are more expensive.

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by GWN
However, Alps also used this same case style to build a special-order "series attenuator" as well, primarily for the pro-audio market. Substantially superior sonically to the Blue Velvet, this series attenuator has 21-steps and much better channel-to-channel tracking. I use one in my Gilmour amp. Hard to find but a very good pot.

That is the pot referred to here:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/econne...nnex_v1n1.html

isn't it? Does anyone have any experience ordering from this dealer? If so, are there any hassles with ordering from a non-domestic dealer?

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 51
Woah! That's a very good deal on the black beauty... I may need to pick up a few of those little buggers. At that price even a cheapy like me can get aboard!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a1rocketpilot
That is the pot referred to here:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/econne...nnex_v1n1.html

isn't it? Does anyone have any experience ordering from this dealer? If so, are there any hassles with ordering from a non-domestic dealer?

Never actually ordered from partsconnexion (too rich for my blood) myself but they are one of the go to dealers for quite a few DIYers around here... I've never heard of anyone in the US having any problems with getting their orders.

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 51
Do you know of any stores that may still stock the series attenuator? Or would it just be best to go ahead and get the normal pot from JBL or some other store?

Dec 5, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 51
I just ordered a few of those pots from JBLPro. That is the stupidest ordering system I have ever seen. If anyone intends to order from them note that the website is not encrypted or secured in any way. I used a virtual card number from citibank so I am not concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back